Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent the morning hooking up a few gauges in my truck but for some reason the fuel pressure gauge is not working. It turns on and lights up with the key in the on position and/or truck running but it will not give a reading. Needle just stays at zero.

I purchased the Fuel Pressure Gauge Adapter from Merchant Automotive and used it to install the hookup on top of the filter housing for the Autometer Gauge.

Once I realized it wasn't working, I went back through the wiring to make sure everything was connected and wires were still in tact. Everything is fine.

Anyone have an idea on what I did wrong or what I should look for????

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Post a pic of were you installed the sensor. Also do you have a lift pump on your truck if not you will not get a reading at all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Post a pic of were you installed the sensor. Also do you have a lift pump on your truck if not you will not get a reading at all.
Here's a couple pics.....

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
So do you have a lift pump on your truck ? If not you will not get a reading.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh no kidding! Is there anywhere else I can hook it up to get a reading or is having a lift pump the only way? A lift pump is in the future plans, just not quite yet.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The fuel supply line is negative pressure-- so if you have a vacuum gauge, it will show an increase in vacuum if the fuel filter is getting restricted.

If you want to show fuel supply pressure, you have to install a lift pump, as the Duramax vehicles do not have one.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Kennedy Diesel sells a Vac gauge that plugs into the factory schrader valve to measure vaccum pressure. You can also measure positive pressure up to 7.5 psi for when you do your lift pump.

·
Registered
16 Posts
so without adding a lift pump, even having the fuel pressure gauge there on top of the filter won't even show a reading? i just installed my egt and boost gauge today and was waiting to do my fuel pressure gauge until i found out some more info...

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
so without adding a lift pump, even having the fuel pressure gauge there on top of the filter won't even show a reading? i just installed my egt and boost gauge today and was waiting to do my fuel pressure gauge until i found out some more info...
Correct, the factory setup uses negative pressure with the cp3 sucking fuel to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts