Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had my truck for about a week now and within the last couple days it has been surging at idle. I have the Banks IQ installed and it is showing a variance of about 30 RPMs at most, but i figure it to be a bit closer to 50 RPMS.
The needle on my tach is moving very slightly. I have read a bunch and am leaning towards the fuel pressure regulator being the culprit.

I also noticed today when I started my truck that the was a light haze of white smoke coming from the exhaust. Could this be an injector issue? I dont have anything to check balance rates with.

What I really need is a GM part number for the FPR or an approximate price on what one is worth.
AND Does anyone have a guide or link to replacing a FPR on an 05LLY?

Thanks a bunch in advance!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did my fpr about three months ago. It was worth about 250 canadian if I recall correctly. However After I replaced it I had a continuation of the surging (my tach would also bump around a little) and more recently I had a white haze. I didn't sleep for a couple days and figured I'd get it scanned for balance rates and an analysis. Balance rates were in spec and he told me I had an egr code showing up. Did a reflash of my ecm with supposed GM updates and he wanted to charge me an extra 150 to "electronically clean" my egr. Told him to forget about cleaning it and just reflash the ecm. paid my 100 dollars to the stealership, rolled out, took my truck for a good hard bagging run and she's purred like a kitten ever since. Strange tale? Yes. The truth? Yes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Also the FPR was a wretched hoor to replace. Had to buy some strangely sized torx bits and take a journey into the valley of the engine haha.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck is showing codes p0401, p0404, and p0045 If I remember correcty.
The first two are EGR codes and the last is a code from the turbo vane solenoid.
If I have the Banks installed and they reflash the ECM will the tuner be affected in any way?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the banks. Are you able to disconnect it and just run your oem tune? I would think they could just reflash and then you could plug her back in? I'm sorry I can't be more help.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not too sure to be honest, all of the Banks equipment was installed on the truck when I purchased it (only had it a week). Was the re-flash from the dealer free?

·
Registered
55 Posts
No I believe they charged me around $50 for the reflash. Which would have made the total $150 not the $100 I quoted before. My mistake. I have no idea if that's what you require but it might be a cost efficient place to start seeing as both our trucks were reading EGR codes. Hopefully someone who is familiar with the banks product will chime in and cover that base for you.

·
Registered
225 Posts
do you run any kind of fuel system additive? Diesel Kleen or Lucas for diesel at least every other tank seems to keep this from happening for me. I've had the surge before and white smoke when I haven't ran the additive for a few tanks but it goes away every time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not sure if it's relevant but I was running diesel kleen when it was smoking. I run diesel kleen in one tank and additive in the next.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I may have to try the additive. how long until you notice a difference? Does the surging slowly go away after the whole tank is burned or is an instant thing?
Thanks for the replies!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts