Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had issues with there Fuel Pressure regulator???

I have an idle that will jump about 50 rpm's at idle and when I come to a stop.

The truck runs fine though, no other issues....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fuel Regulator

Hello,

Just had my '04 in the shop for the same problem. No warranty parts and labour 1320$ 750 for the part 5.5 hours install & test. found the part online for around 375$ I may just leave it unless anyone tells me it could lead to other problems. Im also going to put an "edge" programmer on it and see if that clears up the problem. I will post what I find.

Cheers
Cory

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
the fuel regulator problem will not go away unless you change the regulator..i have a friend with a 06 LBZ and had the same problem and he had a PPE on it but it still would shut down when the regulator acted up so i guess the only cure is bite the bullet and change it..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not sure exactly but I am told it is along the fuel rail near the back of the engine. Must be hard to get at with the cost, they said about 5 hours to R/R and test. My truck seems to be running better after the edge was installed. I talked to another mechanic and he had just told me that "loppy" idle is quite common.

Cheers
Cory

·
Registered
3 Posts
my 01 -6.6 kept throwing up code p0089 high fuel rail pressure for about 1 year with a loppy idle every once in awhile, it finally started idling real rough & noisey hooked up a tech II scaner to read fuel rail pressure to find it jumping around. should be fairly steady at idle.replaced the regulator & fixed it, motor got much quieter- note: tough to replace, took me 2hrs at home, its at the front of the engine under the upper radiator hose tube going into the intake man

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told by the dealer today $997.30 I think I will go it on my own.

·
Registered
335 Posts
hey where exactly is the FPR located?

If u pop your hood and start taking the front of the motor apart it is down in there i beilve its right below the water pump its been awhile sense i done one i will look at my truck tommorw and tell u where it is

·
Registered
8 Posts
My RPM was doing same thing at idle. I came across a couple products that seem to have eliminated the issue. One is an oil stabilizer called X-M5. I add it to my diesel as a lubricant. The other is Guardex Cetane booster. Not only eliminated idle surge, I have increased mileage from 26mpg to 29 hwy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fuel pressure regulator

i have my 2002 in the dealer right now for the same problem, surging on idle, and that is what they are saying the problem is to the tune of 700.00 for the part.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
you need to edit out the bs 29 mpg LOL...

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Stanadyne

I had something going on my engine light was going on, i was told I needed to change out at big expense I might add, had 3 mechanics look at this, 2 told me it needed changing the last one told me it might but its a more of a lubrication of the components what he suggested was STANADYNE PERFORMANCE FORMULA this additive well not affect warranty ... But the big thing is 4.95$$ fixed my regulator this new fuel has no lubrication put 2 bottles in the first tank just to get things going fixed me right up it has been 2 tanks now and no more problems...hope this helps...they are taking the sulfur out of the fuel the regulator need lubrication this new fuel is hard on are pumps and parts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am now getting 1050 hwy km (650 miles) on a tank (96liter / 25 g)
Its through a combination of things. Programmer set to 65 hp boost.
Cold air intake, removed cat, and I make my own mix of diesel boost/lube)
So it is possible Gmclbz. You just have to work at it. I know some of you
can not remove your cat due to emissions testing. We dont have emissions
testing in Alberta yet. I think there needs to be some research done in that area.
With that kind of milage, I think there is some tradeoff for emissions. I have plenty
of hp, I dont blow any black smoke (even under acceleration)
Its all food for thought

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fuel Problem

:help 04 2500 HD- wont start, it acts as if it is not getting fuel. This happened a week ago and the fuel filter was changed and it would not start right away but after a few minutes it started and has run for a week. Last night I started and put in drive went a few feet then died. It will not start again. It turns over and sounds good just doesnt finish the process of cranking. Someone told me I am supposed to be using some type of cleaner in the tank due to bacteria build up. Is this true? Could this be my problem? HELP

·
Registered
439 Posts
Have a very lopey idle and my truck dies of power on my top end as soon as I hit te top of 2nd my truck starts dying down and gets worse into 3rd. Started a while ago whn my truck wouldn't keep prime and started slightly loping and now the lopes gotten worse and never stops where as it used to stop when my truck warmed up ad the dying top end seems to get worse with it. Almost feel like my trans is slipping but seems with all te fueling issues my truck is having I should get them sorted out before i assume the worst right? Also have a fuel filter rebuild kit o need to instal and am goin to put a lift pump on to see if that helps then will have to bite the bullet and fix the fpr. I'm no mechanic so does it sound like mainly fueling?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts