Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the shim kit is installed? I am looking around under the hood and not seeing where the cover is I need to take off?

any directions would be helpful. I have the PPE directions, but I don't know where to start.....one I find this damn thing, I think I understand how to install the shim kit.

fyi I am putting the shim kit in because if I launch real hard I will get the p1093 and it will go into engine limp.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
feel like a tool here....haha stuck on step one....lol

·
Registered
915 Posts
I missed the part where it said you have the ppe directions

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha not a problem...just trying to get this thing started

·
Registered
376 Posts
I didn't have the 5 bolts either. I just figured it was describing a different Gen. Engine. Pull the Glow Plug controller, Get that PITA of a tray out of the way it sits on then get at the FPRV. Good luck mine was in there Tight!!

:drink

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dude i have NO idea how you got those two bolts off the tray. my smallest ratchet and socket don't even fit on the bottom one!!!!

don't even know how to attempt this......!!!

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
PM sent!

I saved this when I shimmed my FPRV--
Removing the glow plug controller bracket was the hard part-- I even removed the turbo heat shield for room moved the return line a little so the flex socket would get in a little easier--

To remove the FPRV-- I ground the chamfer off the 18 mm wrench so it would fit flush with the FPRV head, and then used another big wrench on the end of the 18 mm for additional leverage. It came right off-- It is important you have good contact on the head, because the head is shallow-- not full depth like a regular bolt.

I got the washer from the local hardware store-- I believe it is stainless #4 size - .325 od and .028 thick. Cost 19 cents. They did not have the 20mm nut so I just chucked the pressure end of the FPRV in a vice -- attached a pair of vice grips to the head (hex side) and tapped the vice grips with a hammer- came right apart. Remove the spring and drop the washer inside the body- insert the spring and cap-- press together in a vice-- use cardboard or aluminum on the seat side, and stake the side to hold it together.

Be sure you protect the pressure side-(opposite side of the head) that seals against the seat in the fuel rail-- any damage to it, and it will not build pressure.

The install of the bracket is a little hard also-- I said FU, and cut the upper bracket from the engine mount part-- welded a tab and and now bolt it together-- now the upper glow module bracket is removable from the engine bracket-- works for me.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
PM sent!

I saved this when I shimmed my FPRV--
Removing the glow plug controller bracket was the hard part-- I even removed the turbo heat shield for room moved the return line a little so the flex socket would get in a little easier--

To remove the FPRV-- I ground the chamfer off the 18 mm wrench so it would fit flush with the FPRV head, and then used another big wrench on the end of the 18 mm for additional leverage. It came right off-- It is important you have good contact on the head, because the head is shallow-- not full depth like a regular bolt.

I got the washer from the local hardware store-- I believe it is stainless #4 size - .325 od and .028 thick. Cost 19 cents. They did not have the 20mm nut so I just chucked the pressure end of the FPRV in a vice -- attached a pair of vice grips to the head (hex side) and tapped the vice grips with a hammer- came right apart. Remove the spring and drop the washer inside the body- insert the spring and cap-- press together in a vice-- use cardboard or aluminum on the seat side, and stake the side to hold it together.

Be sure you protect the pressure side-(opposite side of the head) that seals against the seat in the fuel rail-- any damage to it, and it will not build pressure.

The install of the bracket is a little hard also-- I said FU, and cut the upper bracket from the engine mount part-- welded a tab and and now bolt it together-- now the upper glow module bracket is removable from the engine bracket-- works for me.
Nice work I ran to fastenal and spent 5.00 for my kit:drink

·
Registered
926 Posts
The washers are 4mm flats, they are about .030" thick, each. I found the 20mm nut at the local Ace hardware in a small drawer of metric jam nuts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got off the fuel valve w/o taking the bracket off. I was literally shaking I was pulling on that open end wrench so hard. I am no small guy either, 215lb and pretty muscular and that mother f***er was SO tight!!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is that black box the glow plug controller we need to take off?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does the LB7 have this fuel rail problem or just the later trucks?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts