Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've developed an issue with my fuel system where it's losing prime. You can press the plunger crack the bleeder screw to get the air out and it'll be firm for about 3 seconds then it's soft again. Also it does not matter on fuel level. It does it full or empty. I've also not noticed any fuel leaks. I re-sealed the filter head. Replaced the bleeder screw with an aluminum one. Then put on the sinister cat fuel filter adapter in attempt to see if it was the WIF sensor. Then replaced the entire filter head and still the problem persists. Any insight would be great. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
2,246 Posts
Since the fuel system is suction based you wont have a fuel leak, you will have an air leak. If you had a lift pump in the tank then you might have a fuel leak where the air leak is. Air leaks are hard to find because you can't see where they are. You might try pressurizing your tank with the exhaust of a shop vac. But don't go over 5 lbs pressure or you risk expanding your tank.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the fuel system is suction based you wont have a fuel leak, you will have an air leak. If you had a lift pump in the tank then you might have a fuel leak where the air leak is. Air leaks are hard to find because you can't see where they are. You might try pressurizing your tank with the exhaust of a shop vac. But don't go over 5 lbs pressure or you risk expanding your tank.
Awesome thanks. So you suggest pressurizing the fuel system to see if a fuel leak will expose where the air is coming in from?

· Registered
2015 Chevy 2500hd ltz(gone hurricane Ian) 2006 2500hd
203 Posts
If you bleed the air out using the plunger and screw for bleeding. Once it’s bled the only way your getting air back in is a breach. You check the fuel filter o-ring and make sure it’s seated correctly? If so your gonna have to pressurize the line and find the leak.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you bleed the air out using the plunger and screw for bleeding. Once it’s bled the only way your getting air back in is a breach. You check the fuel filter o-ring and make sure it’s seated correctly? If so your gonna have to pressurize the line and find the leak.
I've ensure the filter was seating properly and have even changed the filter and o-ring since the issue arrived.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.