Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am trying to find out how big the fuel tank is on my 2005 sierra 2500hd crew cab. Anybody know how many gallons or litres it will hold? What sort of fuel economy are you guys getting with stock trucks? I always heard that you get almost double the miles or kilometers on a tank of deisel than you do with a similiar gas truck which is part of the reason I switched to a deisel truck, however after owning this truck for two weeks now I am a bit disapointed in the fuel economy so far. I have used up 3/4 of a tank and am only at 340 kilometers and the range computer says I have about 108km left. That is a tiny improvement over my 2000 gmc seirra 2wd with the 4.8 v8. I have friends with fords and dodge deisels saying they get 600 to 800 km on the same amount of fuel.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Well, assuming you have a short bed, it would be 26 gallons. I personally get about 14-16 mpg just running around base and a trip or 2 to fairbanks (about 30miles one way). On the highway, I can get 400 miles pretty easily out of a tank of fuel. As far as your friends getting that kind of mileage, do they have long beds? I believe our long bed is 32 gallons and a ford's is 35. don't quote me on that, but I think that is what they are. Have you ever ridden with your friends and seen for yourself the mileage they are getting? I found out most people exaggerate or go by what their computer in the truck tells them. Rarely do they hand calculate the mileage. I can tell you for a fact, my truck gets better mileage than my friends 02 F350 with the 7.3L. Now that being said, I have seen almost 21 mpg on my truck unloaded with the stock tires..this was only once though. It also depends on driving styles and many other variables, but for the most part, everyone's claims of getting 20+ mpg is BS. You should be getting about 16-20mpg empty on the highway and probably 14-16 in town. When loaded, I know my mileage drops to about 12-14 depending on how heavy I am loaded.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts