Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my truck was new, if the low fuel light came on, I could pump in 22.5 gallons. Now days I can get in almost 25. I know, tank shouldn't hold that much fuel. Did that tank expand or do the filling stations come up with another scam? Recalibrate their pumps when the state isn't looking?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
The fuel senders in the tank are not that extremely accurate. I have never seen my low fuel light come on, but I did fill up with 25 gallons one time (I have a 26 gallon tank). Another thing that can make a difference on how much you fill up is how fast you pump. The fuel will foam and sometimes you could get as much as 2 extra gallons in the tank if you try. Personally, I don't ever run the tank that low if I can help it. I have only run it low 1 time. I would not make a habit of running the tank low to the point the light comes on since all the crud is in the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The manual for my truck informs me that fuel tank capacity is 24 US gallons. I try to not run it real low either for the same reason you do, let the sediments stay right where they are, on the bottom. A 24 gallon tank, engine is still running, low fuel light not on yet and I put 25 gallons in it?
I can see the foam or an inaccurate gauge but I'm still trying to figure out how to put 25 gallons into a 24 gallon tank.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
The shortbed trucks have a 26 gallon tank. Crawl under your truck and the tank should have that on it. Your manual must have a misprint in it. According to the manual I have, chasis cabs have 23 gallon tanks, but shortbeds have 26 gallon tanks.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Yeah....the manual I have said 24 gallons. But I crawled underneath my truck and it was a 26 gallon. And I'm glad I learned about the whole foaming thing....because you can get alot more in there if you use a flashlight and check out the situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts