Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 2500HD 6.6 Diesel. The Vin shows that I should have a 26 gal fuel tank, but the truck will only hold 20 gal when I fill up. I am running the truck down to E. Plus I am only getting 250 mile per tank. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Bearcat

·
Registered
527 Posts
nothing i have the same problem. actually i just ran a full tank of heating oil through it and i got 345 miles to the tank.

with regular diesel i was getting around 280-300 a tank.

also you should update your sig so we can know what your working with.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Nothing is wrong...the fuel guage is notoriously inaccurate. Where you located and what kind of driving are you doing when you get only 250 miles per tank? If it is a lot of stop and go and idling with a winter blend, it is normal. When's the last time you changed your fuel filter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is a 26 gal tank. Same tank used on the gas engines. On the diesels when it apears that it is empty you really have about 4 gallons left. The major reason for this if you run out of fuel you will have to prime the fuel lines in order to get all the air out of the lines. You do this with the priming pump mounted at the top of the fuel filter and it can become a real pain to do this. I believe GM doesn't want all those phone calls to dispatch and pay for their Road-Side Assistance program. So, they really stress not to run the truck out of fuel in the manuals. I personally wouldn't test my theory, but I believe it to be true.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts