Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the worst batch of fuel you've gotten? Mine so far is from BP, got it from the truck stop near me. It was really brown? Getting about 15 Mpg. Let me know what you think.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
What's the worst batch of fuel you've gotten? Mine so far is from BP, got it from the truck stop near me. It was really brown? Getting about 15 Mpg. Let me know what you think.

Id say if you notice a significant decrease in economy and the fuel color is different that you should probably not finish the tank. You have some unknown contaminant in the fuel and i would not run that through my fuel system. Worst fuel i ever got was from a local gas station that apparently either didnt switch to winter diesel, or had enough summer diesel in the tanks still where it gelled up a couple filters and my truck wouldent start.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id say if you notice a significant decrease in economy and the fuel color is different that you should probably not finish the tank. You have some unknown contaminant in the fuel and i would not run that through my fuel system.
Well the pump did say something about biodiesel blend? Maybe that's why the color is off?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Well the pump did say something about biodiesel blend? Maybe that's why the color is off?

i run 5% biodiesel regularly and there is no noticeable difference in color or fuel economy. 5% is the highest we have here, so if your running B20 or something maybe thats different, but i have not see a decrease in mileage or a change in fuel color. If you are noticing a significant change in your mileage, that indicates the truck is having to burn more fuel to keep the same power, which means there is something wrong with the fuel. At minimum, keep the receipt and maybe a sample from the tank just in case the worst happens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i run 5% biodiesel regularly and there is no noticeable difference in color or fuel economy. 5% is the highest we have here, so if your running B20 or something maybe thats different, but i have not see a decrease in mileage or a change in fuel color. If you are noticing a significant change in your mileage, that indicates the truck is having to burn more fuel to keep the same power, which means there is something wrong with the fuel. At minimum, keep the receipt and maybe a sample from the tank just in case the worst happens.
Yeah Im gonna run it til half and refill with something better. Driving fine so IDK?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Drive it, fill it again at half or so. Run your favorite additive and replace your fuel filter ASAP after running a few tanks through when you think that brown fuel was diluted enough to make a difference. MHO

Reactions: Towelie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drive it, fill it again at half or so. Run your favorite additive and replace your fuel filter ASAP after running a few tanks through when you think that brown fuel was diluted enough to make a difference. MHO
That's my plan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow - what part of the country are you guys finding polluted diesel ?

I am unaware of any such problems here in northern Arizona or in Southern Calif ( a typical tow will be to Las Vegas and back, to Lake Powell and back, or to the Los Angeles area and back) .

In aviation, we always cut filters apart after removing them - I think that is a wise shop practice; do it to all our vehicles as well as my airplane. I have yet to find anything suspicious and/or puzzling in either my diesel fuel or oil filters.

I buy diesel at various places - come to think of it - about the only "major brand" diesel station I am aware of is a couple miles south west of Barstow, Calif., on I-15.
CT

·
Registered
886 Posts
Never ran across brown fuel but I filled up one time & the fuel smelled like some kind of paint thinner. Pretty sure most place I fueled were bio 5-20 %.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never ran across brown fuel but I filled up one time & the fuel smelled like some kind of paint thinner. Pretty sure most place I fueled were bio 5-20 %.
Yeah I'm thinking it's bio trash

1 - 10 of 10 Posts