Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2019 3500 duramax. So what's with the strange looking exhaust pipe? I went to the muffler shop to get my tail pipe rerouted a little bit, so it wouldn't blow exhaust on the full width gravel guard I have for when I tow my 5th wheel. The guy said he couldn't alter the tail pipe. All I wanted was for him to install a 45* bend in it so that it pointed out the side instead of under the corner of the bumper. He said something about emission's being altered (?). anybody know anything about this?

Thanks, Steve

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
It's designed to mix/scoop in cooler air flow when the afterburner lights it up for ReGen....so you don't melt things.

Registered
I put on a 5" stainless steel 45 from MBP I cut off about 13" off stock tail pipe and turned it at a 45 down then clamped it on then ran a couple ss zip screws to hold it.That was about 3 years ago and have had no problems. It keeps the exhaust off the front of my 5r. If you are towing and its raining when you pull onto the freeway you can see a plume of water being blown off the road.

Registered
Banks makes a DPF back exhaust that reroutes the exhaust exit point to a more traditional, 45-ish degree angle

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Ok guys thanks for the reply鈥檚. I鈥檓 going to get a 45* bend and cut and weld and will leave the funny end intact so that the dealer can鈥檛 revoke my warranty

Registered
I tow a fifth wheel and have had no issues or residue on the trailer from exhaust. These things are pretty clean burning.

Premium Member
Ok guys thanks for the reply鈥檚. I鈥檓 going to get a 45* bend and cut and weld and will leave the funny end intact so that the dealer can鈥檛 revoke my warranty
I would not bank on the dealer NOT revoking the warranty after discovering exhaust modification........

Premium Member
I suggest going to another shop and don't take the guy's word for it. That guy is full of shit, there's no way emissions laws are so strict that you can't change the angle of the tailpipe. No functional emissions components are being removed, bypassed, rigged, or altered in any way that affects emissions.

Premium Member
I agree with nitro. I had a 19 that the exhaust pointed at the flatbed skirt. Dealer sent it to muffler shop they use and turned it slightly down and out. No further problems. Your dealer is being an ass about it-- anything past the muffler is just plain pipe and doesn't have a thing to do with emissions.

Registered
So I just bought a 2019 3500 duramax. So what's with the strange looking exhaust pipe? I went to the muffler shop to get my tail pipe rerouted a little bit, so it wouldn't blow exhaust on the full width gravel guard I have for when I tow my 5th wheel. The guy said he couldn't alter the tail pipe. All I wanted was for him to install a 45* bend in it so that it pointed out the side instead of under the corner of the bumper. He said something about emission's being altered (?). anybody know anything about this?

Thanks, Steve
I went with the AFE dual dpf back exhaust. I think the dual tip looks better on long beds and especially the dually. 2019 3500 CCLB DRW

Premium Member
Installed the Banks 4 inch DPF-back exhaust about a year ago and really like the 鈥渃ool cuff鈥 design that mixes the cool air with the hot exhaust during regen cycles just like the factory tip design. Drilled a small hole in the bottom-side of the exhaust tip just behind the rolled edge to keep any moisture from sitting there and potentially rusting the tip from the inside (for as much as Banks charges you would think the tip would come pre-drilled :confused:). But overall I am happy with the product ... no more stupid-looking trumpet exhaust tip blowing hot exhaust at my travel trailer.

Banks 4鈥 Monster Exhaust with CoolCuff for 2017+ Duramax L5P Drops Dangerous Temps During Regen | Banks Power

Registered
Instead of changing out the tip I installed the rock tamer heat shield on my rock tamers - so far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts