Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend has a 2003 Audi A4 Quatro. The brake lights are staying on the entire time that the ignition is on. If the ignition is off then the brake lights go off and only come on when you press the brake pedal. I'm stumped, any ideas what it could be?:help

·
Needs more go fast
12,518 Posts
my brother has a car like that
i think his stays on all the time? guy he bought it from said he needs to go to the dealer and the code cleared?

but honestly after changing an axle on those cars there on of the most messed up design
they troque bits and alen head bolts all through them
and the troque bits are 12point on the axle :WTF

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LMAO. . I changed the idler pully a few months ago and it was a PAIN. And yes, everything is torque bits and allen heads. I can't figure anything out on this damn car!

·
Needs more go fast
12,518 Posts
idk man
but after working on it ill never buy one :cool:

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's almost out of nursing school and this one is gone!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have worked on the electrical on the 90 and 91 audi 200 quatro race cars, they are well built but designed so that you need factory training to work on them, and it was a pain in the ass, i cant imagine the new stuff being any easier. call your local dealership and ask the service department if there are any technical service bulletins on this issue.
Good Luck

·
Vendor
3,528 Posts
Hopefully you figure it out, these cars are a pain!

I got my girlfriend a 2001 A4 quatro with the 1.8t motor, she drove it 20-30 miles and the motor took a crap. It now has a rod knock and I've got a replacement motor from one with a manual trans, come to find out it will need a crank from an auto:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully you figure it out, these cars are a pain!

I got my girlfriend a 2001 A4 quatro with the 1.8t motor, she drove it 20-30 miles and the motor took a crap. It now has a rod knock and I've got a replacement motor from one with a manual trans, come to find out it will need a crank from an auto:rolleyes:
Thats jacked up! I wonder why the crank is different from an auto to a manual? It doesn't suprise me tho, these cars are crazy! I hate this thing, I regret telling her to buy it. :booboo

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thats jacked up! I wonder why the crank is different from an auto to a manual? It doesn't suprise me tho, these cars are crazy! I hate this thing, I regret telling her to buy it. :booboo
Actually you find that in alot of car engines, the crank has a differend grind on the main journal in the rear to accomadate a thrust bearing for the manual trans models. however if you are putting the man trans engine into an automatic car there should be no change required unless they changed the bolt setup so the flexplate wont fit.

·
USMC
795 Posts
If you post this a week ago i could have hooked you up with an Audi tech, I sent him to boot camp on sunday. Kid is smart as hell.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wish I would have posted it then! I'm going to get out there and mess with it some more tomorrow, I was just hoping that someone may have had this problem before so I would know exactly what to do.

·
Registered
885 Posts
i got a innie :neener

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats what I thought originally but I don't under stand why it works correctly when the key is off and screws up when the key is on?

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
cause audi's are weird. :D you hit up any audi forums?

back in the day, in the old coupe's you had to manually turn the radio on and off every time you turned the car on.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe I need to put the brake lights on a toggle switch and she can turn them on everytime she needs to stop. Lol. . . I haven't resorted to the Audi forum yet, I was saving that as a last option, since I really don't want to have to make a profile on that site. I betting those are some wierd little ricer guys so I'm going to hold off on that for now.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol. . Hopefully I can get it figured out tomorrow. All our rides are tearing up around here at once, the loaner is the only thing with no problems and the tags are expired on it! Ha ha

·
Banned
4,544 Posts
Lol. . Hopefully I can get it figured out tomorrow. All our rides are tearing up around here at once, the loaner is the only thing with no problems and the tags are expired on it! Ha ha
did you see my post? lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts