Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks- The truck has 190,000 miles on it. Last night I had to hop a curb to get to a spot where I could unload the contents that I had stored in the bed. Once I finished that projected, I proceeded to again hop the same curb at crawling speed, but after the back end came down as I was moving forward slowly, I started hearing LOUD popping and binding noises. I could go forward a few feet then pop. Same thing. I tried in reverse, and same thing. Had a look underneath but everything looked normal. Verified I was not in 4wd, did cycle it thru 4hi and 4 lo, would still bind/pop while rolling in neutral. Eventually after turning and straightening things out, it stopped popping and binding and drives fine now. However- this made me think back to when the G80 went out on my 99 Silverado with only 70,000 miles on it. Similar symptoms. Only way to know for sure is to pull the rear diff cover and see what awaits me. If it is the G80 and the truck needs a new rear end, should I go with another G80, or are there better options out there? I'm guessing a new rear end or rebuild is going to be upwards of $2000 as I seem to recall it was $1600 on my 99. I know the G80s don't hold up well to abuse, burning out, and all that stuff but again it has 190,000 miles on it so maybe it's just time.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Check out Yukon Gear and Axle. Don’t replace with another G80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have one. Works well. Can’t tell it’s there but uses a helical gear to start engaging when slipping. It starts working sooner than the G80 which requires a 125 rpm difference to engage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a trutract in my lmm and my lb7 hands down one of the best investments ive put in the trucks,, my lb7 may be getting parted out soon if your interested in the trutract id make you a deal on it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts