Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess my title is kinda click bait but i have a broad spectrum of questions here

Tl/Dr --> see **** at bottom (but i would appreciate if you understood my view points)

Not new to engines and wrenching but this is my first diesel OWNERSHIP. 2018 L5P. I'm very happy with the power, truck feels like a freightrain, however hearing stories about how there's so much more potential really leaves me wanting more.

As a pro (for my wife) and con in my eyes, it seems as though this L5P is pretty locked down from the factory. I can't tinker too much which is disheartening but i guess knowing my history thats a good thing. Now, i have an old school mindset - real world kinda guy. I personally like to stay tried and true -function over form, if you will.

I have always been under the impression Banks Performance has been the leader, the OG in the diesel performance world. Between his military background, pikes peak and speed records, he has always appealed to me as Mr Diesel. Watching his YouTube channel, he presents things in a real world manner. At the end of it all he is a business man but I feel he demands a lot out of his R&D team, to obtain real world results. A large amount of my respect too comes from his attention to detail when it comes to drivability and long term reliability. It seems as of joining this forum, he is viewed in a different light.

Sorry for the rant, just trying to lay my viewpoint all out there. What it comes down to, i like the Derringer idea, along with his ram air intake and exhaust. I see people have issues with long term reliability with his aluminum exhaust, which isn't a concern for a company out of Cali, but would be for me here in North Jersey. However, i really like the Wcfab setups for under the hood - both being smooth pipe at larger diameter and the aesthetics.
* TL/DR****
*performance WCFab ram air vs Banks?
*WC turbo horn worth a dam? (Fully understanding the exhaust side creates serious limitations)
*^^^^^ understanding the exhaust limitations, is it worth spending more money to get more air in if it cant get out?
*if more WCfab was installed later down the line - does the derringer always adjust the engine parameters, no matter what is done to the engine
*are other "exhaust systems" for this truck providing comparable temperature difference that I have seen the Banks setup provide?
*are there other options that are better/comparable/easier that I don't appear to be aware of?

I have a kid now and plan on driving this truck until it dies so I want to do the right thing from the beginning to not deal with headaches in the future. Additionally, i just bought the truck (12k miles on it) and paid for the extended duramax warranty. Kinda seems its hit or miss with stealerships willing to do maintenance with aftermarket stuff done. With the history of banks and GM/ Duramax, it is the same issue? Thanks for sticking around until the end here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Intake
Long term on the intake is that it’s value is only that it’s reusable filter element. I gave the banks back to my buddy after his truck was out of the body shop. I have an SB. It performs the same.

Derringer
Long term on the derringer is some usable top end torque. Low end exceeds my tire grip so it’s worthless. No mpg gains, I think it’s sootier than stock so there are more regens with mixed city freeways driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i appreciate the input. Quite a few views and it doesn't seem many people are willing to dissuade

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Thanks i appreciate the input. Quite a few views and it doesn't seem many people are willing to dissuade
I think that you will find not many Banks fans on the DM Forum IMHO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think they are solid engineered products to “do no harm”

But intakes are usually “tuned out “ by the ecu unless you are using a tuner that can make use of the less restricted and velocity stacked air.

The derringer works well, it just unleashes too much tq really low great for pulling... but unreasonable for empty load. I have a 17 so the soot accumulation might be a isolated with my truck.

I’ve always gotten around 17-19 mpg on the freeway at 65-70mph. I still do with the the derringer (level 6)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If your goal is to drive the truck "till it dies" -- implication being that longevity is of value to you -- then asking the same engine for more HP/torque is probably not what you want. There's a reason why 12-15 liter big rig engines are only tuned for 500-600 horsepower, and it's the same reason that the class 4 through 6 Duramax L5D (which is nearly identical, mechanically, to the L5P) is tuned for only ~350 horsepower.

There might be some value (from a longevity/reliability standpoint) to doing a full delete with an ECU swap, but only if you could be sure that the tune matched OEM. Otherwise, you're absorbing the risk that the tune will allow the engine to run outside its design specs and turn itself into kibbles and bits.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just installed my Derringer and I-dash yesterday, and the fun factor/seat dyno is quite noticeable. I am reading my soot level going up pretty quickly, but before I could only see it when it got low, so who knows.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Before the EPA shut down the EFI Live tuners, Banks was considered the bottom choice. They made fairly decent, safe tunes but their customer service was considered lousy. Banks racing efforts were successful because they were able to do "off road" mods and tuning that were not under EPA scrutiny. Now, with all the top EFI Live tuners shut down, there aren't many EPA compliant tuners left since there's little to be gained in keeping the emissions system intact. The "coal rollers" didn't help anything either....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea that was kinda my angle - i always viewed him as the OG leading the pack but this is my first real introduction to the deezul world
If your goal is to drive the truck "till it dies" -- implication being that longevity is of value to you -- then asking the same engine for more HP/torque is probably not what you want. There's a reason why 12-15 liter big rig engines are only tuned for 500-600 horsepower, and it's the same reason that the class 4 through 6 Duramax L5D (which is nearly identical, mechanically, to the L5P) is tuned for only ~350 horsepower.

There might be some value (from a longevity/reliability standpoint) to doing a full delete with an ECU swap, but only if you could be sure that the tune matched OEM. Otherwise, you're absorbing the risk that the tune will allow the engine to run outside its design specs and turn itself into kibbles and bits.
Fully understand the concept of over engineering to obtain reliability. The reality too is I don't have anything huge to haul, within the next 10 years anyway, where extreme heats and loads would create excessive strain. I like the idea of monitoring as many parameters that he provides, while having the ability for a little more oomph
Before the EPA shut down the EFI Live tuners, Banks was considered the bottom choice. They made fairly decent, safe tunes but their customer service was considered lousy. Banks racing efforts were successful because they were able to do "off road" mods and tuning that were not under EPA scrutiny. Now, with all the top EFI Live tuners shut down, there aren't many EPA compliant tuners left since there's little to be gained in keeping the emissions system intact. The "coal rollers" didn't help anything either....
Yea its annoying. Thanks Obama. I remember regularly seeing newer trucks crawling up hills here on one of the highways when no one really knew what was happening with the whole DEF and limp mode etc.

Idk if its something to be proud about or not but I was actually in the truck that started the whole "roll coal" epidemic. My buddy's extended cab 12v dually with a turbo back. He owned a performance shop and autocross race cars. New neighbor moves in (as a renter) and starts calling the cops every time his busa swapped smartcar would start up. He legit drove a Prius, would key their cars and leave garbage all over their driveway. They didnt think anything of it and just let him be the whiny neighbor - they are a well established family in the town and liked by many. Neighbor is sitting outside at a restaurant with his Prius parked out front. My buddy bogged down and rolls coal on the car. Turns out, neighbor is a political yippie who was looking for his claim to fame. Lowe and behold he got it lol. Now in NJ its an actual motor vehicle law statue for rolling coal, and he clearly ruined it for the rest of the country as well.

Don't hate me. I seent it, but it wasn't my foot on the skinny pedal

·
Registered
5 Posts
Watch the youtube video by DuramaxTuner about soot accumulation. Stock power level compared to their tuned power. If I recall correctly the difference was negligible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Watch the youtube video by DuramaxTuner about soot accumulation. Stock power level compared to their tuned power. If I recall correctly the difference was negligible.
I posted in the l5p group on FB about it without much educated response about the varying soot levels. The soot accumulation really looks like waves, it builds up and compacts or some of it burns off while driving. Once you get up to ~60% it jumps to over 100% then mobile regen occurs.

In stock modes I noticed that it the SL would go up by about 5% and burn off 2-3% then cycle again of build and burn. On the derringer it soots up buy 10-15% then burns down 2-3%.

I’m trying to keep my driving habits relevant. 75% freeway 25% city. Total of about 24 miles each way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts