Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I have a 2008 Silverado 3500 Duramax. My turbo is going bad and I was looking into some other forums and people were saying that having a tune, cold air intake, and straight pipe often puts stress on stock turbos. So I guess my question is has anyone gotten the Garrett Stage 2 Turbo? Can the turbos be switched out with ease? Do I need to upgrade anything else with a stage 2 turbo? Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Whats your plans for the truck? If its relatively stock with no built transmission just get a new stocker. An intake, and exhaust isnt hurting your turbo at all. Neither is a GOOD tune unless youre max effort flat footing it every day. Ive ran stock turbos to 500+hp and theyve lived for years and so have plenty of others. How many miles on the truck? What symptoms make you think its a bad turbo?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats your plans for the truck? If its relatively stock with no built transmission just get a new stocker. An intake, and exhaust isnt hurting your turbo at all. Neither is a GOOD tune unless youre max effort flat footing it every day. Ive ran stock turbos to 500+hp and theyve lived for years and so have plenty of others. How many miles on the truck? What symptoms make you think its a bad turbo?
Well for starters my turbo sounds like its trying much harder than it has in the past just out of nowhere, along with my oil lines began leaking. I do plan to up the power on my mostly stock truck but I have just done the basics (straight pipe, cold air intake, and a tune that is suppose to help it run a bit better). Don't want anything to crazy in power. I use my 3500 to haul my welding machine and all my tools. So the back of the bed is loaded in weight at all times. Just with the oil lines leaking i'd rather not risk damaging the rest of my engine. I am new to diesels in general. I am at 180k miles also.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Well you need to diagnose further but if it ends up being the turbo in your situation i would put a stock one back in it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok sounds good. I wont be home till next week at which point ill have my mechanic look at it. You know of any good places for turbo replacements?

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
Danville performance sells stock remans for pretty good prices

1 - 6 of 6 Posts