Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between the allison behind an 01 seirra 2500hd with an 8.1 vs a 02 sierra 2500hd with the duramax. (long story short im trying to find a core and i may have found one.)

·
Registered
261 Posts
i thought the tranny behind the 8.1 was a 4l80

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
I would think maybe the TC but beyond that I would think they are the same. Inersted to know.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I would think it'd be at most the converter and TCM programming to work with the 8.1 powerband. Other than that I dont know what they would change or why.

·
Registered
476 Posts
On the 3/4 ton suburbans and avalanches they used a trans other than the Allison. The 2500HD+ pickups had the allison. Family used to have one, could really hear the trans over the engine at low speeds.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool. im just after the case and such to rebuild so i should be in good shape then? theres not a different spline shaft or front pump or anything internal in the valve body to acomidate the different power band??

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 8.1 and a Duramax and the transmission does feel different but that could be more due to the engine than the trans. If you have a decent dealer close to you you could have the parts guy run part numbers and do a comparison.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I have a 8.1 and a Duramax and the transmission does feel different but that could be more due to the engine than the trans. If you have a decent dealer close to you you could have the parts guy run part numbers and do a comparison.
Why would you do that when they are the same?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just a suggestion in case the tc or any thing else is different. If they are identical then great. Half into a project and realize there are settle differences really sucks.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Just a suggestion in case the tc or any thing else is different. If they are identical then great. Half into a project and realize there are settle differences really sucks.
The converter is different and the TCM strategy is different. The Allison is the same. If you don't believe this than go see your GM parts man.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No reason to doubt it. Thanks for the good info. Can the tcm from a 8.1 be used for a duramax and just get reprogrammed? Just trying to learn more info on these trucks thanks again

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
No reason to doubt it. Thanks for the good info. Can the tcm from a 8.1 be used for a duramax and just get reprogrammed? Just trying to learn more info on these trucks thanks again
yes, the TCM's are the same. It just has a different operating system/calibration loaded into it.

You can reflash an 8.1 TCM with a duramax calibration and it will work fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok i'm looking at a 03 allison off of a 8.1. Everyone is always talking about reflashing the tcm but why cant i just take the trans put it in and hook to my old dmax ecm. Is there anything other than sensors and actuators in the trans? and are they any different than the ones in a dmax?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ok i'm looking at a 03 allison off of a 8.1. Everyone is always talking about reflashing the tcm but why cant i just take the trans put it in and hook to my old dmax ecm. Is there anything other than sensors and actuators in the trans? and are they any different than the ones in a dmax?
What year is your Dmax?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
This is why I love this site. Other people thinking up ideas and others chiming in with information. :thumbsup

So I could find a wrecked 8.1 2500, steal the trans, rebuild it, and use it if I got everything calibrated?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Depends on the year. Think the earlier trans had a different bell housing & cooler line connections

·
Registered
62 Posts
i thought the tranny behind the 8.1 was a 4l80
I have a 2002 2500HD with the 8.1L Gas and the 5-speed Allison.
I don't know if the Allison was a mandatory option though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts