Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While traveling this past weekend, we stopped at a truck stop and by mistake we put gas in our tank instead of diesel. We went about 30 miles and the truck died. We had it towed to find our problem. Has anyone else done this? What were the repairs to be made? Did it do alot of damage? Help, thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
it really depends, how much gas was put in? We had a guy do that with one of our work trucks, had to get the fuel system flushed and it ran after that, but have been having problems with it since. could have messed up the injectors? not sure how extensive the damage can get, others can chime in on that

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
havent personaly done this but i know a guy that did and it messed up his injectors it was a ford though so that may have been the problem to start with

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I have heard of it messing up a CP3 and injectors because of the low lubricity of gas compared to diesel like has been said I would try to clean it out good and put good fuel in it and see what happens. If u didnt run it too long it should be okay. the thing is i have no idea how long is too long. good luck.:drink oh and welcome to the forum:drink

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have heard of it messing up a CP3 and injectors because of the low lubricity of gas compared to diesel like has been said I would try to clean it out good and put good fuel in it and see what happens. If u didnt run it too long it should be okay. the thing is i have no idea how long is too long. good luck.:drink oh and welcome to the forum:drink
x2^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
drain it, change filter, dump a qt of 2 stroke in with fresh fuel and cross your fingers.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My work truck is a chevy c4500 kodiak thats gas.Someone borrowed it for the day and put diesel in it.He ran it for about 20 miles let diesel sit in the tank while working a 8 hour shift and then drove back about 10 miles and the truck broke down.
The injectors were thrashed along withe other parts.It basically needed a new engine.Work took it to the dealer and got a $12,500 bill.Goodluck

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
A guy at my work ram gas though then brand new powerjoke on the 2nd tank it dies took it to the shop they cleaned everything. The truck will no longer go over 70 and has one hell of a time starting on cold days. must be pluged in

·
Registered
272 Posts
i dont think there is anything t say to this!!:rof

·
Vendor
2,279 Posts
My work truck is a chevy c4500 kodiak thats gas.Someone borrowed it for the day and put diesel in it.He ran it for about 20 miles let diesel sit in the tank while working a 8 hour shift and then drove back about 10 miles and the truck broke down.
The injectors were thrashed along withe other parts.It basically needed a new engine.Work took it to the dealer and got a $12,500 bill.Goodluck
I never heard if diesel screwing up a gas engine.....

Gas is what will wreck a diesel, not diesel in gas.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
While traveling this past weekend, we stopped at a truck stop and by mistake we put gas in our tank instead of diesel. We went about 30 miles and the truck died. We had it towed to find our problem. Has anyone else done this? What were the repairs to be made? Did it do alot of damage? Help, thanks
Welcome to the forum!!Fill out your sig so we know the details of the truck..that'll help..DAMMIT ran for 30 miles before it died out???No one noticed anything before 30 miles of driving??

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
I never heard if diesel screwing up a gas engine.....

Gas is what will wreck a diesel, not diesel in gas.
Not so fast......My cousin put 10 bucks of diesel in my brother's truck[75 1/2 ton] and it was never the same...You think a PPE tuned truck smokes???NO,it could totally hide vehicles at stop lights even after we changed carburetor etc...:drink:rof

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
:eek::confused: never heard of that!! I have a friend that would mix diesel
with the gas in his old carburated motor if he thought he might run out. he always had a jug of diesel in the back. Guess you do crazy things when you live in the boonies of western Kansas:)

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
I agree--diesel in a gas engine will not do that kind of damage. Also a gas engine will not cost $12,500 to replace.

I think it was a diesel, and they put gas in and ruined the engine,-- sounds more like it. It could cost $12,500 to replace the diesel engine.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Umm,I can get a copy of the invoice and send it to you if you guys want.Any yes,A 8.1 gas engine at the dealer installed can cost that much.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Remember the truck is a c4500 kodiak not a 6.0 2500

1 - 20 of 27 Posts