Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy decided it was a good idea to clean his air filter with gasoline. He said it reved up really high made some popping noises and then stopped. Any ideas as to what could have gone wrong with it? Rings and pistons? Or new engine time?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yeap new engine time. He's the second one in a week to do that to a diesel on this site. Will it run anymore. Could have revved to high and cracked a pistoin or bend a rod, or even blow out a head gasket. What year is the truck?

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
Why?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'd say he has about close to a 900lb boat anchor in the engine bay.

tell him good job moron, next time do it to a powerstroke

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
the fuck ?

around here i think gasoline is a bit higher than the soap and water it takes to clean a re usable air filter.
damn the boondocks and our high tech mechanisms

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its an '02. I know he said he never tried starting it again. He already got another truck. Im more trying to figure out if its worth trying to fix if i got it for a decent price.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
depending on the rest of the truck, you could get it cheap and drop a newer motor into it. just a thought. have a good clean truck with a classic look and a newer motor (04.5-05, or you could do an 06 but would need the 6 speed transmission as well) and have half the money in it as opposed to buying one newer

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
Its an '02. I know he said he never tried starting it again. He already got another truck. Im more trying to figure out if its worth trying to fix if i got it for a decent price.
Depends whats wrong, if it's in decent shape I'll give him $2k.

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
You are gonna need to atleast pull the heads...

I would do a compression test on each cylinder first and go from there.

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
Depends on what you can rebuild it for or get a used engine for, and what he'll sell the truck for, what options/condition etc.. Book it, deduct worst case scenario from that, then take another 2G off just for being a Derp and killing a D-Max with Gasoline :rofl If he bites, why not?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts