Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, I know there should b a dyi on this but no time to look up as I Just thought about doing this. How is the install on some auto meter cobalt gauges? Boost and pyro. Thinking of doing this myself and saving the money from the install at the shop. Thanks everybody

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
There are a few links on the internet, it's mot a difficult task. Just take your time and read the instructions twice before starting. Youtube has instructional videos too.

Did you buy the IC tube boot with fitting for the boost gauge or where are you tapping for boost?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Have to look it up. It's coming as a kit and was thinking about tapping for the boost n the intake pipe.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a boot, easiest way to do it.

Super Diesel Boost Manifold for 01-up 6.6L Duramax

I'm sure other vendors carry these as well.
Thanks dude,That looks alot easier. I saw those boost tubes before and was wondering what they were for. I got my install appoitment set up for Wednesday but don't know if I want to wait that long so thinking about just doing it myself and being brave. I got everything so I'm good to go except the drill bit and the tapper if thats what you call it.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Thanks dude,That looks alot easier. I saw those boost tubes before and was wondering what they were for. I got my install appoitment set up for Wednesday but don't know if I want to wait that long so thinking about just doing it myself and being brave. I got everything so I'm good to go except the drill bit and the tapper if thats what you call it.
You can buy a tap and die set from Sears or wherever. Just make sure it has athe right one for your probe. Most probes are 1/8th npt.

I would just do it yourself, you'll be happy and be able to help future members with questions how to do it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can buy a tap and die set from Sears or wherever. Just make sure it has athe right one for your probe. Most probes are 1/8th npt.

I would just do it yourself, you'll be happy and be able to help future members with questions how to do it.
Thanks.. 1/8th npt,Are you talking about the size of the tap and die set? It looks like I would have to drill through the firewall also for the power does it just tap into the fuse panel on the side?

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
Thanks.. 1/8th npt,Are you talking about the size of the tap and die set? It looks like I would have to drill through the firewall also for the power does it just tap into the fuse panel on the side?
There are multiple ways to get power and most guys use existing holes through the firewall. I don't recommend drilling.

That is the size and style of tap.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really don't feel like drilling if I don't have to. I only saw one opening that had a wire harness going through it. Looked and looked but couldn't find anything else. My fuse panel had two open spots to where I could tap it but don't know if those spots would work. I would be open to the easiest way.

·
I'm That Guy...
16,690 Posts
I really don't feel like drilling if I don't have to. I only saw one opening that had a wire harness going through it. Looked and looked but couldn't find anything else. My fuse panel had two open spots to where I could tap it but don't know if those spots would work. I would be open to the easiest way.
Look for a rubber grommet below the brake reservoir on the driver side.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts