Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 duramax with the lbz. I want to install the boost and pyro gauges and was wondering as far as the location if the pyro was is installed in the downpipe and the boost line was installed in the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler if those area's will be accurate? Also with the pyro in the downpipe what would a safe egt be and what's to high? And is a hypertech tuner okay to use?

·
Registered
121 Posts
should run no more than 1300 egts. also, drop hypertech and go with diablo predator for the best price or PPE for the best tuner. but EFI Live is the best of all but requires a laptop and time.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
In the downpipe the temp could be quite a bit lower than if you did it pre-turbo. 1300 is a good rule of thumb pre-turbo....post turbo (like you are doing) I would stay around 800-900. I read on another forum that most guys had seen about 300 degree drop between pre and post turbo egts. In some cases they saw a 600 degree drop when pulling a hill. It is more accurate to install the EGT probe in the exhaust manifold pre-turbo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pyro and boost

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if I need to take the exhaust manifold off to drill it and tap it or can it be done on the truck? And can the aluminum intake be drilled on the truck or does that need to be removed?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I have read instructions on how to do both on the truck. The exhaust manifold can be drilled on the truck, but it needs to be running. For the boost line you can drill it on the truck as long as you disconnect the rubber boot closest to it and use a shop vac to catch the shavings. I'm sure you know the trick that you can use grease with the tap to keep shavings from getting all over the place. from what I understand, neither are hard to take off the truck so you can do it too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip about the truck being running, I didn't know about that. Has anyone heard of the manifold cracking after running with the pyro installed? How much boost is normal on a stock lbz with a 4in. mbrp turbo back exhaust?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have an 06 duramax with the lbz. I want to install the boost and pyro gauges and was wondering as far as the location if the pyro was is installed in the downpipe and the boost line was installed in the pipe from the turbo to the intercooler if those area's will be accurate? Also with the pyro in the downpipe what would a safe egt be and what's to high? And is a hypertech tuner okay to use?
what is the outside diameter of the pipe coming off the turbo?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts