Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a monitor, for gauges only, mainly EGT and Boost, but also code reading. I'm planning on getting EFI Live. I've only found the Edge Insight, which does what I want, but I'm looking for any suggestions or if anyone has an Insight how do you like it?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Edge will be coming out with the CTS insight this summer. Might want to wait a little bit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There's also the Banks iQ, the bully dog gt, and dashdaq. If edge is coming out with the CTS insight I'm going to wait for that.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the CTS and if they will be coming out with the insight version soon, I think I'll wait for it. I really like the IQ, but it is expensive and must be used with one of their tuners. And the bully dog GT only lets you view 20 parameters compared to the insights 100+.

I am waiting to get EFI Live so I don't want any other type of tuner.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
how come u dont want the analog ones??

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put analog gauges in my 3500, and ended up spending a little over $350 when all was said and done, without the new pillar matching the interior. It looks like it would be in the same ballpark for this, then I would just have those gauges. The idea of spending a little more to get a gauge monitor like the insight that allows me to watch most of the important gauges if I want, and have the ability to read/clear codes without getting out the EFI live scanner is what really appeals to me.

In other words I tried one way, and like the idea of the other way better.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
ya if i could do it again i would wanna do the monitor.... thats the only thing i like bout the edge j/a was being able to check my codes right then and there

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just took a good look at that Dashdaq. That a nice monitor. Expensive, but nice. The only thing I don't see is the EGT probe. I see it is compatible with a couple probe, but they don't have any other information about it. My wife would really like the GPS Nav.

I don't know if it would be worth the extra money. Maybe, if I knew it would read all sensors and had a relatively inexpensive EGT probe available.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The EGT probe and amp are $60 total.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really do like that dashdaq, I might have a chance at convincing my wife that it is better with the GPS Nav, but it still is really expensive.

The biggest thing that is attracting me to it is that it can read sensors and codes on any OBDII vehicle, rather than just Duramax's.

I e-mailed the company and they suggested which EGT probe to use, 2 pieces totaling $70. I also read through the full sensor list, and I think the basic package has all the sensors I'm interested in.

Does anyone on here have one? How do you like it?

·
Registered
193 Posts
hey zigblazer, did you ever buy a dashdaq? im really looking into it too but concerned on not reading egts if you bought it how you like it?

·
Registered
235 Posts
you could probably just find a used edge programmer with egt and cost you about the same as just the monitor. i have an Edge evo race and thinking abt going to EFI and probably just keep evo and set level O so can clear codes and have monitor. cause i probably couldnt get $300

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
hey zigblazer, did you ever buy a dashdaq? im really looking into it too but concerned on not reading egts if you bought it how you like it?
You can read EGT with the dashdaq. I haven't hooked mine up yet, but I have all the stuff. all you need is a probe, a 0-5V converter, and the analog input cable.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope don't have it yet. Money got tight, and some money didn't come. So it is waiting another month or two. I'll let you know if and when I get it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
ight well how much does all the extra stuff run? thanks knaffie

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Dashdaq is $535, the analog cable used for extra sensors is $30, the EGT probe is $50, EGT probe adaptor is $20.

I was looking at the Edge Insight, but it was $300, and the probe was $80, then you can only read a few sensors at a time, out of a list of 100. It also can only be used on duramax's.

Here is the EGT stuff Dashdaq sent me;

Sensor:
Exhaust Gas Temperature EGT Probe with Compression Fitting

k-type amplifier:
EGT 5V K-type adapter/conditioner [EGT01] - $19.00 : 3rdBrakeFlasher, E-commerce web site

·
Registered
119 Posts
The new cs/cts based insight will support 1996+ vehicles, but no gps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts