Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my PPE gauges and i spliced the wires that go to the light switch for both gauges together. I put a 330 ohm resistor inline but for some reason the boost gauge isn't as bright as the pyro????? Any ideas?????

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Im Superrrrr!
14,517 Posts
Why did you put the resistor in for? Maybe the wires have a loose contact somewhere or bad ground?
Same...there should no reason for a resistor in there.....they don't draw much at all...

But a bad ground would give different brightnesses...did you use the same ground??

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
I had this on my Ultra Lite IIs. It was just the gauge themselves.

I dont reccommend tapping into the dimmer switch, i tap into the trailer brake fuse with these deals, although i just get mine from NAPA.

ATC Fuse "ADD-A-CIRCUIT"

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
resistor is cutting your power/voltage down,that is what they do

why did you put a resistor in there??That will LIMIT the voltage[getit:RESISTOR].....Take the resistor out to begin with,and my best guess is that you have too much voltage being pulled from that one circuit,making the last thing in line[the gauge]dimmer than the rest....Do you have electronics experience??IMHO it's one of the hardest things to learn,I know when I began to repair electronics I had to learn the resistor color codes,what a diode was for,and when these certain parts were needed etc......

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put a resistor in there so they wouldnt be so bright which was recommended to me by Chad at Alligator Performance. The two red wires that got to the dimmer switch are tied together and butt spliced to a length of wire that has the resistor inline so to me they should both have the same voltage. On the EGT gauge I got 12 volt keyed ignition power from the tbc ign fuse using an add a circuit. Both grounds are also tied together and go to the same place.
Soooooooo what do you think now that you have more info?

Thanks

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
I think that you shouldnt draw power from the TBC fuse. its not the problem for your gauges but this fuse is very important. If you pop it and dont have a spare your truck will not run.

i would switch it over to the sunroof fuse. Thats the one i always tie into.

as for the dimmer gauge I really dont know. Like i said I had a difference in two of mine. Easiest thing to do is to take them out of the truck and hook the same amount of voltage up to them. If everything is the same between the two and the lights are still brighter/dimmer than each other then it is in the gauge itself.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
yeah my boost is brighter than my pyro i havnt started to chase down the prob yet tho. lemme know what you find out ha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.