Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a pretty good wiff of gear oil towards the front of my truck while its idling and sometime I will smell it through the hvac in the cab. I don't have any leaks, any chance it's just from the vent line?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had a similar problem with the rear axle seals leaking onto the brakes. I don’t think you would smell it through the vent line, crawl under and look at the insides of your tires for wet spots or grime build up. I would bet an axle seal.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Had a similar problem with the rear axle seals leaking onto the brakes. I don’t think you would smell it through the vent line, crawl under and look at the insides of your tires for wet spots or grime build up. I would bet an axle seal.
agreed. just replaced both axle seals on mine. leak wasn't really visible until we pulled the rotors...but wowza, what a nasty mess all over the e-brakes shoes!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Sometimes I smell the blow by from the breather on the lb7, I know its not exactly like 80/90 but it can be an oily like smell.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sometimes I smell the blow by from the breather on the lb7, I know its not exactly like 80/90 but it can be an oily like smell.
Does it kinda smell like a mix of exhaust and gear oil? That's what I'm getting, I can definently tell its coming from the fron of the truck..

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is crankcase ventilation you are smelling

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/QUote

Well I will check out the axle seals tomorrow just to be sure, I cant imagine that it is the axle seals, just because I only really smell it when i start my truck up in the morning and let it idle for a while. I would think if it were axle seals leaking then I would smell it all of the time or at least after driving it....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts