Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a maitenance Tech. for my Fire Department and am in the process of repairing a 86 Chev. 1-ton former military brush truck. I need parts and advice to repair the gear selector which has a broken tab leaving it inop. and the speedometer is pinned at 85+ cable is good so not sure their if i need complete cluster or? any help would be great Thanks Matt :help:help.:help

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The speedo problem sounds like the head frozen-- and that is why it is at 85MPH. Remove the dash assembly and check the speedo internal drum. Probably have to send it to a speedo shop.

For the shift indicator- the cable is probably broken, or the pin-- when you have the dash cluster removed, you will see how it is operates--a wire pulls the indicator needle, as the shift column is moved. Needs a indicator unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jc is correct on the speedo as well as the selector, what usually happens is the "tab" you speak of wears or breaks off and leaves the selector inop. These parts (clusters, selectors and such) are plentiful on E-Bay or Craigslist, depending on your Fire Department's regs as to "mileage correctness". Not too big of a job to replace cluster, hardest part is getting the speedometer cable off the back of the cluster.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Havent found any parts yet Ebay or Craigs so any help would be awsome !!

·
Registered
525 Posts
pm sent

1 - 5 of 5 Posts