Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Truck started and came up to temp this morning, but 5 minutes down the road I got a reduced engine power message. Parked it and left it in the sun for the day and it started up again. Drove fine for about 10 minutes, but then gave a reduced engine message and change fuel filter message. Truck killed multiple times while I limped it home the couple of miles.

I just got home and added 911 to the tank and plugged it in to keep some heat in it over night.

I’m planning on picking up a new filter tomorrow. I just added a FASS in the last 1000 miles. Do I need to change both the fuel and water separator on there as welll?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I would pull and at least refill the filters, thats usually the gell spot is the filters. If the 911 dont work I always cut mine with Kerosene, its close to diesel anyway and helps me in extreme cold snaps. Hope it works for ya.

·
Registered
12 Posts
got a fass too, good advice above. i only gelled once last year when it got to 15 below, i had some treatment in the tank but....put a portable heater under tank/fass pump for and hour or so then it was okay. This year i found some higher micron filters to use just for winter, i think they are 14 micron on water filter and 10 on other, no problems so far but hasn't hit -15 either. your fass filters should be okay i mean they are newish. careful where you buy diesel too, preferable a busy place. Hope your back up and running.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
That fass makes these trucks gel sooner. Wish they made a dummy filter for the fine micron position.

The do how ever sell a heat probe for the unit...

·
Registered
87 Posts
When I lived in northern WI, I always ran Power Service Diesel Treat in each tank in the winter just in case. This was a result of gelling up on my way back from MN in subfreezing weather once. After that, and being more careful with where I filled up, never gelled again.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I now wrap my filters in carpet foam and have that wrapped with a piece of a thin mud flap that I have always used to protect the filters from flying rocks. Nothing fancy just works with zip black zip ties.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate all the advice everyone. I left the truck plugged in the next day and doubled up on the additive in the tank following 911. I did have a full tank of treated fuel in it before. I'm going to guess I just didn't have enough in for as cold as we got. We've had a few more cold snaps this week and everything seems to be back to normal at this point.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Good news!!! Glad it was a positive end!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts