Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys so I'm looking at buying my first duramax. I was going to a while back but decided to hold off. So my wife is giving me a hard time about buying a diesel. Her brother in law says his is a nightmare in the winter. We live in Vermont. He said his gels up a lot. So I was wondering what you guys are using in your trucks to avoid this problem. I'm sorry if this topic has been covered but I'm new to forums.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
No no no no no no no no no! It is wayyy to early to see a gelling thread yet. It's still 90* outside. Come back when its cold :rofl

Get fuel from stations that are busy and hope their winter fuel is a good mix. Use optilube, diesel Kleen and keep 911 in the truck if you're worried about it. I know guys that are -40 and dont have gelling issues.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had issues with gelling on a long trip last year from Ohio to Montana with my brand new 2500HD; heading thru Indiana into a 30mph headwind and -20ish ambient temps. I learned pretty quick that I didn’t put in enough Power Service (white bottle) before is left; the trick with anti-gel is to add it before temps drop. It didn’t get bad enough to shut the truck down, but it sounded like my turbo was crapping itself any time I tried to lightly apply power. I got lucky and was able to pour in some Power Service 911 at a truck stop; that stuff works like magic. Throughout most of that trip; at least into Minneapolis, every truck stop I pulled into was out of anti-gel, and there were a lot of stopped trucks along the way. I know the fuel is supposed to be blended, but it sure as heck wasn’t blended enough. The farther you get out west, I was surprised seeing the options available for fuel- 50/50, #1, & #2. Once I got out past the plains, I used 50/50 or #2 as often as I could if the temps would allow.

So there’s my long story as a new diesel owner and my experience with gelling. Would I let it keep me from buying another diesel? Hell no.

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,286 Posts
Her brother in law says his is a nightmare in the winter. We live in Vermont.
I don't do Cold....we don't get along.
But from what I've observed from the yearly onset of 'gel' threads that pop up at the beginning of every winter is....it takes a while to fully remove all of the #2 Diesel from the distribution system, pipeline to pump, when they change over to #1 Diesel (lower gel point) in the Northern States.

Once we get deep into winter, with far colder temps, 'gel' threads/posts go away.
By then, it's all cleaned out with nothing but #1 @ the pumps.

Be ready with additives on hand, and fresh filters....just in case.

What are you going to pull with the new Diesel?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not really pulling much, maybe a racecar once a week but want it for my daily driver.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts