Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be dumb question territory but what the heck.

Getting ready to change my fuel filter for second time. First time was kind of a pia because the whole nicktane adapter and filter came off as one rather than the nicktane staying in place and filter simply unscrewing from it. PIA because once fuel got on the nicktane and filter it was a pia to get a grip to unscrew from each other.

Is this normal, or is there a better way?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The same thing keeps happening to me and my dad's truck. I never asked cause I assumed it was normal. Curious myself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
194 Posts
Happens to me every time and it's frustrating. Get a vise. A friend and I managed to separate them with a pipe wrench and a strap wrench once, I'm surprised neither of us sent the other through the garage wall from the torque of us leaning away from each other.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
This happened to me the first time i changed mine. It hasn't happened since what you need to do is get the adapter on as tight as possible then rub some oil or diesel on the rubber o-ring on the filter and don't tighten more than hand tight then do a small turn back. its only happened to me the one time and since i did this it comes off easy now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had this problem before also (huge pia). I found that that putting some oil on the o-ring helped significantly. TGris hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've armed myself with two strap wrenches. My game plan is to hold the nicktane in place with one and break loose the filter with the other. I'll let you know how it goes.

10-4 on putting oil on the o-ring -- I will be doing that for sure.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I just put the nicktane on hella-tight and the filter hand tight. But you can use a drill bit in the adapter to keep it on there while turning the filter.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yeah I used a little bolt to keep the nicktane tight. I also use oil on the cat filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^ Ah yes, I forgot about that drill bit "hole"!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I must have done something right last time I did it. Came off without the Nicktane twisting. Used some motor oil on the gasket before I twisted the new one on and didn't go crazy tight with it. All is well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts