Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I posted a few weeks ago that I thought my new injectors were bad already under the "strange noises" title. Well, I took it back to the shop that installed the injectors and they said everything looked ok. I have been paying really close attention to how the truck runs since. Here is what I have found now that it is starting to get a little colder in the mornings. When I first start the truck in the morning it runs really good, the engine is really quiet and runs really tight with tons of power. When my temp guage hits 160, the engine feels like it loosens up, starts making all kinds of noise, and seems to lose some power. Does this sound normal? I just want the truck to be right....eventually.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt think so either. I forgot to mention the rattles and knocks not only get louder when it gets warm but get even louder when hauling my 5th wheel and 16' work trailer. It gets so loud you can barely have a conversation in the cab.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
My truck does the opposite, she don't run too good until she is nice,warm and cozy....somethin don't sound right

·
Registered
848 Posts
Its def not normal and I'm pretty damn sure that is an injector problem. Maybe take it to someone else and see if they see anything? Did you pull any codes for it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No codes, I didnt get the numbers from them but my ppe shows cylinders 2,4 and 7 at +3.9 in park. Not sure how accurate that is though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also oil pressure has me a little concerned and wondering if it could be causing some of the noise. When warm it runs around 75 psi at 60-65 mph. I have read the 01's run a little higher but that seems a little extreme.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shop did say that there could be a crack in the new injector and the only way to be sure is to take it out and bench test it. If they are not cracked I could potentially have to pay for the labor. If I take it somewhere else I could end up paying for the labor. I guess I am stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have the tools to properly test them but I could probably change them if I had the time. I guess my line of thinking is I paid all that money to have them replaced and they are still under the 13 month warranty (only a month old) why should I pay again to change them myself? I am pretty confident that is at least part of the issue. As far as the oil pressure, i thought that was high. Where should it be and what could cause it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a 03 truck and thought the engine was loud as hell. i mean at times i thought it had a rod knocking. it was good untill i got operating temp the it got loud. i thought it was just the nature of that truck it ran good,no smoke or anything like that.so after it had drove it for a while i checked the oil one day. it was way overfull. so i knew it had to need injectors. when i put injectors in it i went ahead and lashed the valves finding that some of the exhaust were pretty lose. i lashed the valves installed injectors. damn thing sounds like a new truck quiet as it could be. guess it was a fuel knock and so valve noise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i wouldn't trust the oil gauge in these trucks. the cluster has history of problems. i would do a wet test on the oil pressure. if its good let'er rip. bad thing about oil pressure is you dont know u lost it till its to late

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before I took my truck to the shop to get the injectors replaced, I tried to educate myself a little since I am so new to diesels. I specifically asked them to check the valve lash. When I picked it up I asked them if they had checked and they said it was fine. When I drove it home that day it did feel like a totally different truck. That only lasted a day before the noise came back. I had heard that sometimes new injectors are noisy until they "seat". unfortunatley it is not going away. I know there is something wrong with it, you can just feel it. I just can't pinpoint what it is. This shop is supposed to be the best in my area. It is just really frustrating!! I have heard nothing but good about these motors and would just like to enjoy it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have also read about the guages. I read to use a mechanical guage to check the pressure. Someone else just told me that my PPE programmer should read it too. I will have to look into that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
where at in michigan are you from and what shop did you take your truck to?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts