Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this 6.5 diesel world. I have a question about how hot can my truck get? I just got back from a cross state journey, pulling a four horse trailer, where I had to pull about six mountain passes. My concern was when pulling the grades, my temp would go up to about 3/4 (roughly 230 degrees). Is this going to be an issue? I am concerned that when the weather is warmer this thing is going to overheat big time. Is there a fix or any help for this issue?

The truck is a 1995 k2500 x-tra cab log box, relocated grey Stantadyne PMD w/#9 resistor and 217k miles.

I was thinking about a 4" turbo back (sans cat) and mechanical wastegate controller. Would this benifit at all????

Thanks for any input!!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes, the 4" will help, it will also help your EGTs. It is the #1 mod you can do for the 6.5L.

The Mechanical wastegate controller won't help much, as long as your vacuum wastegate system is working properly. Most people switch to mechanical when their vacuum pump goes out.

The next thing I would do is a coolant flush and 180 degree thermostat. Make sure you either make darn sure the radiator is clear of corrosion or replace it. This will help a bit with the engine temps.

Next step would be a duramax fan and HD fan clutch. Trans temp gauge and EGT gauge would be a great thing to have when towing that much.

With that you should be good for towing, but if you really want to enjoy driving the truck get the SSDiesel 80hp chip, and possibly even marine injectors. I got the 80hp chip and with the 4" exhaust it is the best mod I did. Almost feels like it has more low end power than my Duramax.

Otherwise I have a K3500 for sale with all that, I hate having to sell it, but can't afford to keep it. 1995 Chevy K3500 Ext Cab Long Box

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input!!! I am not familiar with the Bowtie diesels, just the Blue Oval (International) stuff. The truck is my wife's and I want to make sure her truck is tip-top!!!

·
Registered
696 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 Duramax LLY that gets hot when I tow my trailer. I have noticed a different turbo noise when I accelerate, and it never gets hot when I am not towing. Could the turbo cause a heating issue or do I have another issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts