Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Just bought a new 2010 2500HD Silverado (with the Duramax of course). I am new to the Diesel world and after months of research and reading several forums, I went with the Duramax and Allison combinations. Primarily going to use the truck for towing my boat and a fifth wheel camping trailer. I am looking at doing a couple of mods and had a few questions. After reading some of the posts I have decided on the S&B cold air intake.

First question:
What is the better choice the dry filter or the oiled filter on the S&B?
Second question:
What is a good after market exhaust that will increase fuel mileage and increase horsepower? And will I need someone else to install it? My wrench monkey skills are probably mediocre at best.

I eventually plan on chipping the truck (leaning toward EFI live), but I am concerned about the warranty. Any information would be helpful or if you can steer me to a good post on upgrades.

Thanks

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Any DPF back system is a waste of time, money, and will net you zero performance or power gains. It would be purely cosmetic.

I would highly suggest reading the forum for a few weeks, that will help you gain a foundation of basic understanding of what works, and what does not.

·
Registered
272 Posts
idk about the filter, but for exhaust id go with a MBRP exhaust. look in the after market mods section, also the EFI Live. dont be afraid to ask question, and Welcome to the DF!

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
idk about the filter, but for exhaust id go with a MBRP exhaust. look in the after market mods section, also the EFI Live. dont be afraid to ask question, and Welcome to the DF!
He can't go with any exhaust unless he wants to remove his DPF, which will void his warranty....

·
like a Ninja
5,212 Posts
welcome to the DF. IMO get the dry filter S&B a 4" straight pipe, just keep your old exhaust just incase, and for a tuner either PPE or Quad S2, unless you wanna drop the money for EFI which is well worth it.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
I'd say the S&B dry filter, but for a stock truck, the stock air filter flows plenty good and filters better than anything the aftermarket has, plus it'll last you 50k miles.

For exhaust, if you're wanting some sound, the only way is a full turbo back system, but that requires deleting the DPF, which will void your warranty unless your dealership is ok with mods (I'd ask them before you do anything). To put a full exhaust system on you also have to have a tuner to get rid of the trouble codes that will come up. EFI Live will do this, but you'd need it at the same time as you did your exhaust.

Exhaust kits are actually pretty simple to put on. Just simple hand tools will get the job done in a couple hours. No lift required either.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just ordered my MBRP 4" turbo back and a Quad S2. I plan to keep the stock filter from what Ihave read here it should be good for anything you want to do without a built up tranny. I have 10,000 miles on it and decided to heck with the warranty, I would rather have the response and power. You should do a EGR blocker as well, save yourself the soot in the intake.

·
Registered
50 Posts
to get anything notable you will have to have a tuner of some sort tho!

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you go with a filterback for warranty reason and then put a tuner in watch the plugged filter, it will kill your mpg and truck will run like shit. i had mine on for 5 days while the dpf delete was on order and the 5th day engine codes galore for dirty filter. eventually went to cat delete also. sounds much better also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the advice. I let you know what I finally decide on.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I didn't see this, but FYI, oiled filters usually mess up your MAF sensor. Stay with a dry filter! Dang treehuggers have forced the use of DPF on LMMs and up. They kill your mileage. If you are worried about your warranty, stay stock until it's up. Then get a 4" turbo back exhaust. I have the MBRP and love it. If you are going to put a ton of extra power on the truck, you may want to think about going to 5", but if you are only going a modest bump in HP, then 4" is all you will need. I would also check out what requirements are in place in AZ. If they require the DPF to pass inspection, it would be a bad idea to drop it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Not to derail this but wouldnt the DPF removal just void the emisions warrenty not the engine warrenty?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts