Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2500HD Club Member
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I will be doing a lot of plowing and have a few questions about beefing up my front end. My inner tie rods need to be replaced are the heavy duty ones worth the money? Also my idler needs to be replaced and is the idler and pitman arm supports worth the money and also what else should I do before snow hits?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
This year I will be doing a lot of plowing and have a few questions about beefing up my front end. My inner tie rods need to be replaced are the heavy duty ones worth the money? Also my idler needs to be replaced and is the idler and pitman arm supports worth the money and also what else should I do before snow hits?
IMHO, tie rod sleeves are a must, but anything else for plowing probably probably not so much. Buy a set of timbrens, or the Truck star brand(buyers products) timbren knock offs for half the money. They replace the stock bump stops in the front and make a world of difference for road manners when carting the plow around. Make sure you buy a quality idler arm, the one that was on my 01 when i bought it was half the friggin thickness of an oem or a moog unit and i bent it my firt pull. Other than that, i plowed all last winter with my 01 with the power turned up and nothing but tie rod sleeves. Oh and an Eaton e-locker is the cats ass when your stuck.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i just did front end upgrades. i started with a new moog pitman arm and idler arm. then i got the cognito support kit. their isnt much to thats kit but man you can see how much nicer it is seeing as it takes everything on the bottom side of the centre link and the idler and pitman arm are on the top, so yes its worth it. i just did tie rod sleeves also. they are very easy to install and their are guys running them with drag trucks at 700 horse so i figured if they can do that theirs no reason our daily drivers should need more. and then just back up those sleeve with stock tie rods and i think youd be good. the only thing i wana do is replace my tie rods themselve. theyre not in dier need yet but im gona do it soon anyways that way i no i have a solid front end.

·
2500HD Club Member
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys and it is always nice knowing you have a nice new front end when going into winter

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
i just did front end upgrades. i started with a new moog pitman arm and idler arm. then i got the cognito support kit. their isnt much to thats kit but man you can see how much nicer it is seeing as it takes everything on the bottom side of the centre link and the idler and pitman arm are on the top, so yes its worth it. i just did tie rod sleeves also. they are very easy to install and their are guys running them with drag trucks at 700 horse so i figured if they can do that theirs no reason our daily drivers should need more. and then just back up those sleeve with stock tie rods and i think youd be good. the only thing i wana do is replace my tie rods themselve. theyre not in dier need yet but im gona do it soon anyways that way i no i have a solid front end.
IMHO For a stock height truck with stock keys, the Pitman idler support kit is a waste of money for someone who is more worried about plowing/working with the truck. For starters, with the plow hanging off the front, his tierod angles will be real flat so they will push straight against the centerlink, VS a leveled or key lifted truck with lousy tie rod angles will want to push up on the centerlink and pitman/idler. And for him to get enough traction to get the front end to stand up enough under load to change the angle is pretty unlikely. Ive also seen a variety of posts where the support kits put extra stress on the pitman arm and cause premature failure, and after installing mine i could see where if you do get it tightened just right it would cause an issue. Im acutally going to pull my pitman/idler supports off for the winter.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
IMHO For a stock height truck with stock keys, the Pitman idler support kit is a waste of money for someone who is more worried about plowing/working with the truck. For starters, with the plow hanging off the front, his tierod angles will be real flat so they will push straight against the centerlink, VS a leveled or key lifted truck with lousy tie rod angles will want to push up on the centerlink and pitman/idler. And for him to get enough traction to get the front end to stand up enough under load to change the angle is pretty unlikely. Ive also seen a variety of posts where the support kits put extra stress on the pitman arm and cause premature failure, and after installing mine i could see where if you do get it tightened just right it would cause an issue. Im acutally going to pull my pitman/idler supports off for the winter.
im still all for the supports to help with pre mature ware. gm has this flam even with stock height trucks. my last 1500 had the same exact problem and the cv angles wer flat. so either way your gona run into them wareing out this is just preventive measure

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
im still all for the supports to help with pre mature ware. gm has this flam even with stock height trucks. my last 1500 had the same exact problem and the cv angles wer flat. so either way your gona run into them wareing out this is just preventive measure

How is a preventative measure if there have been people who have experienced increased pitman arm wear by adding a PISK? The support kits dont do alot for wear, they safe guard against bending a pitman or idler arm in high torque/high traction situations. They are doing nothing for you going down the highway or tooling around town in 2wd.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
it supports the arm up. making it not ware so bad taking some of the stress off of it since it hangs their. the easy way to explane it is hold your hand out with soemthing hanging off of it this is what your stock system is like, hard to hold up. now put your other arm out to support it, it makes it a little easyer. this is all im looking at and if hes plowing and such im sure hes not just tooling around in four wheel drive. not saying this is the best option for you op but in my opinion i would do it. its just an opinion everyones got em

·
2500HD Club Member
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I turn up my torsion bars during the winter so my front end dosent sag as much also and im going to be pulling next summer so im beefing it up for this winter and next summer

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
it supports the arm up. making it not ware so bad taking some of the stress off of it since it hangs their. the easy way to explane it is hold your hand out with soemthing hanging off of it this is what your stock system is like, hard to hold up. now put your other arm out to support it, it makes it a little easyer. this is all im looking at and if hes plowing and such im sure hes not just tooling around in four wheel drive. not saying this is the best option for you op but in my opinion i would do it. its just an opinion everyones got em

Your talking about less than 5lbs hanging off the idler and pitman, and in any situation in which the steering parts do anything un natural, they want to push up on the centerlink and pitman/idler. The support kit is not meant to support any weight, rather to deter excessive upward deflection.

I based my whole point on threads ive read on other forums about PISK kits reducing the life of the pitman and idler arm, which is exactly why i plan on taking mine off after my last hook.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts