Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, after a long and very hard decision I am upgrading my cummins 12v to a duramax. We recently bought a 36' raptor 5'er and while they say it's 3/4 towable, it does much better with the dually.

So hopefully here soon I will have a 04 ext cab 4x4 dually lb7 duramax. It's the lt model with all the leather etc. It's a higher mileage truck, but the deal is great and it's got a new engine, tranny, and transfer case in it. So I figure I got a pretty good shot at this one. I know the person that did the work, and he is reliable.

Hopefully this turns out to be a good truck for us, I love my 12v and not really wanting to see it go. But at the point I am at it's hard to drop the cash to put head stud's , fire rings, etc in a 94 model truck. I have lots done to the dodge and hopefully I can sell it and it will be a wash for this truck.

I do know the motor is all stock, didn't see an egr on the truck, tranny is stock as well. More than likely looking for a good tow tune (efi Live switch I presume) and leaving it at that. Of course I will put the essential gauges in the truck.

My questions are pretty simple at this point.

1. who makes a good tow tune for this setup (I am towing 12k dry weight trailer, it's a toyhauler, so it will go up to 14k probably max) also tow for the farm, gooseneck, hay, tractors, etc.

2. anything that I should be looking for / aware of on the truck. I know keep the egt's below 1250 towing, and I am pretty anal about that.

Thanks for the input.

Rob

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
178 Posts
For a tuner EFI live is the way to go, most people use Idaho Rob, or DURAMAXTUNER.COM, either one of them can custom build you a tow tune to fit your needs. The big thing to be aware of on the LB7's is injector failure, but the truck your looking at has a new engine, so it should also have new injectors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, they are supposed to be new. It runs as good if not better than my dad's 04 , which is almost identical with an edge juice on it. His only has 100k on it and he bought it new. This one seems to have a little more than his with no tuner vs. his with the edge

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
:welcome

·
Registered
7,861 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Welcome to the forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts