Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my truck to a classic car restoration shop in June or 2019. They steam cleaned my trucks frame , and then painted it with chassis saver . The first time I picked up the truck , they missed painting a bunch of spots . The second time I brought the truck in for them to fix , they still missed spots and there were bubbles in the paint(like they didn’t apply paint right or something ) and they painted over my transmission filter ! The third time they had it , it appeared that they didn’t a decent job and hit the spots I was concerned with , well a month later I go through the car wash and it’s blowing the paint off of the frame in chunks . They have it again to figure out what’s going on , is there anything I can do to get my money back ? Or be reimbursed a little bit ? They shouldn’t have to have my truck 4 times to possibly get it right .

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Needle scaler is the way to go on these frames. Saves alot of time over a wire wheel or disk. That is unless they're going to pull engine n transmission and sandblast everything

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
If you paid for the work with a credit card, you can contact the CC company and tell them you got screwed and don't want to pay until they fix it...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update guys : took it back to them to “fix this issue “ i talked to the owner of the shop , he told me all I can do is keep bringing it in and having them touch it up . I said that’s not acceptable , he said that’s all we can do , and I’m asking them to paint a frame that’s seen salt and rust for 13 years and expecting no issues . I gave them another shot , and sure enough , there are bubbles in the paint , and it’s still flaking off ! Idk what to do at this point .

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Take it to another shop(s) and get their opinion on the work. Have them document whats wrong and why.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To do it correctly you need a fresh slate

It needs to be blasted off and primed. Then painted.
I told the owner this ! He pretty much refused and just said they didn’t do a bad job from the beginning so they will just keep painting the peeling spots

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take it to another shop(s) and get their opinion on the work. Have them document whats wrong and why.
This is a good idea ! Even with this, I feel like the shop is just going to keep on touching up spots that come off . Do you think the better business bureau could help me? Do you think I’m being unreasonable ? The owner told me it’s unrealistic to expect it to be perfect . He said any undercoating place has warranties , but all under the condition you bring it back once a year to have touched up ... this is once a month I’m having to go ...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am military aerospace---largest in the world. Corrosion cannot be removed completely by sandblasting no matter what media used. Must be ground off completely. Have had to scrap hundreds of thousands of dollars(worst case I have been a part of) in wing skins because of fallout in a hand finishing area at a supplier allowed metallic fallout to land on these skins in a temporary storage area before going to anodize, prime and paint.

That being said for a old vehicle frame short of removing the steel frame and removing all of the corrosion and chemically treating then coating the surface it all will be problematic. Almost all of the time people who get this type of work done still have the underlying corrosion present it is just not very active and they think it is gone. Eventually it will come through the "coating" or the corrosion will cause the coating to release especially when being driven.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
To get the job I think you're looking for, you need to:
1. take the body off the frame
2. have the frame and suspension media blasted to bare metal
3. paint the frame and suspension w/ epoxy primer
4. paint again w/ something like POR15, or other rust inhibitor
5. reassemble

While the body is off the frame, address any rust and/or body work that needs to be done. Also inspect the frame for any rust damage that needs attention before coating it.
Sounds like a lot of work doesn't it?? Well it is. But when you're done, you'll basically have a new truck.
When you took the truck to a restoration shop, you should have explained that you want the truck restored. They may have understood that.

·
Registered
395 Posts
To get the job I think you're looking for, you need to:
1. take the body off the frame
2. have the frame and suspension media blasted to bare metal
3. paint the frame and suspension w/ epoxy primer
4. paint again w/ something like POR15, or other rust inhibitor
5. reassemble

While the body is off the frame, address any rust and/or body work that needs to be done. Also inspect the frame for any rust damage that needs attention before coating it.
Sounds like a lot of work doesn't it?? Well it is. But when you're done, you'll basically have a new truck.
When you took the truck to a restoration shop, you should have explained that you want the truck restored. They may have understood that.
How much would that cost to do it right? 5k+ I'd think. Don't know but to do it right everything would have to come off of the frame.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's the thing, cant expect perfect if not willing to pay for it. I have no idea what the OP payed but I agree that it would be in the $5000+ range to do a job that lasts.
The amount of work they did I would still expect to be in the $1000 ish range.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Update guys : took it back to them to “fix this issue “ i talked to the owner of the shop , he told me all I can do is keep bringing it in and having them touch it up . I said that’s not acceptable , he said that’s all we can do , and I’m asking them to paint a frame that’s seen salt and rust for 13 years and expecting no issues . I gave them another shot , and sure enough , there are bubbles in the paint , and it’s still flaking off ! Idk what to do at this point .
so..... this is a CLASSIC car shop right? im sure all those sweet 50's - 70's cars all roll in there in pristine condition with no rust on them at all....

As for your paint issue, the GM frame is waxed, and as they likely did not strip this, the paint is not going to stick to it well. Pressure washing it may take a bit of it off but i dont think you would get the majority of the factory finish off without a more aggressive removal process like hot tanking the frame or sand blasting it, at least not without a lot of man hours on it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Agree with the others, if you want it to look good for 5-10 years, pull the frame and have it acid dipped or blasted. Then clean the crap out of it. Best would be powder coating. I used Eastwood epoxy primer and 2K chassis black ceramic on a 66 Mustang I restored. I was really happy with the way it turned out. I'll let you know in 5 years how it is holding up.

If you are not interested in pulling the frame, I'm afraid your options will all be temporary as it will continue rotting. Also as mentioned, the wax coating is almost impossible to get paint to stick to. Power washing it off is a good idea. Then maybe wire wheel and POR-15.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ask for a refund and take it to a different shop that will do the work correctly. That's probably the best option. If you keep taking the truck to them, it's gonna end up costing them more money out of pocket. I have a similar issue like this with a honda. The paint keeps bubbling and flaking off. They've had to repaint that honda 4 times and the paint is bubbling again. I'm going to request a full refund and take it somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts