Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of trying to buy my first house , so I need every bit of cash in hand at the moment . My truck needs tires for inspection , I was debating on getting some used tires to save a few bucks . Is this a bad idea ? I found a set of 4 cooper sst pro 285/65/18 for $200. They have 3/8” tread, so 12/32 . Or I found a set of 5 of the same tire with only 2k miles on them for $600.
Or I could buy new for over $1000. What do you guys think I should do ? I have never bought used tires before . I don’t do much towing . Just don’t want to buy a set of used tires that I’ll have to replace in a year

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just my opinion here. I would only buy used tires from someone that just bought a new truck and they changed to different tires.(Less then 500miles on the tires). I look at tires, as one of the top safety for any vehicle I own.
You don't know the story of used tires that have few thousand miles on them.
Something goes wrong with that used tire you bought from Mr. Billy Backwoods. It's your life and your family lives in that guys word that the used tires are good.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my opinion here. I would only buy used tires from someone that just bought a new truck and they changed to different tires.(Less then 500miles on the tires). I look at tires, as one of the top safety for any vehicle I own.
Something goes wrong with that used tire you bought from Mr. Billy Backwoods. It's your life and your family lives in that guys word that the used tires are good.
Thanks for the advice .i agree tires are a top safety issue , maybe I’m better off just financing a set of tires

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I am in the middle of trying to buy my first house , so I need every bit of cash in hand at the moment . My truck needs tires for inspection , I was debating on getting some used tires to save a few bucks . Is this a bad idea ? I found a set of 4 cooper sst pro 285/65/18 for $200. They have 3/8” tread, so 12/32 . Or I found a set of 5 of the same tire with only 2k miles on them for $600.
Or I could buy new for over $1000. What do you guys think I should do ? I have never bought used tires before . I don’t do much towing . Just don’t want to buy a set of used tires that I’ll have to replace in a year
Thanks for the advice .i agree tires are a top safety issue , maybe I’m better off just financing a set of tires
The issue with used tires is that if they were ever run beyond their load capacity at a given tire pressure the plies could already be damaged in a way that isn't obvious now but may manifest itself catastrophically later, even if you're running them within spec. My view is that tires are not items on which saving money should be a priority.

Hoping you're kidding about financing tires...

·
Premium Member
5,057 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree..................Look at it this way.

The ONLY thing riding on those tires is the safety and life of you and everyone you love who is in your vehicle, as well as everyone else on the road where you happen to be at any given time.

Reactions: Busa Dave

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
By the time you buy the used tires and pay a good local tire shop to mount and balance tires they won't guarantee, you could have gotten new ones for not a whole lot more, plus you will have a new tire warranty. The local shop where I buy my tires has a 90 day no interest program plus free rotation/balance so it makes buying tires easier. If you do decide to buy used, check the DOT date code, those tires could be older than they look....

Reactions: Busa Dave

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I would not buy used tired unless i knew beyond doubt there age and why they were removed at that low of miles. A tire with 2k miles that sat out in the sun for a few years is still going to be a bad tire. That said, if it is ONLY to pass the inspection put the 200$ ones on and worse case swap back to what you have on it now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts