Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fighting with the low coolant light for a while I'm giving in and taking her to a shop for the head gaskets. He's mentioned factory gaskets, studs, machining, flow test injectors and h2o pump(I did 4 months ago). Anything else to look at while he's in there? Truck is pretty much stock except for mouthpiece.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Depending on mileage or age all the rubber fuel lines.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on mileage or age all the rubber fuel lines.
05, 150k. I believe he said that was on the check list but I will bring up. Thank you.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
111 Posts
Is he going to remove engine for the job? If so do the main seals. Wouldn’t hurt to reseal timing cover and flywheel housing along with the oil pans if engine will be out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is he going to remove engine for the job? If so do the main seals. Wouldn’t hurt to reseal timing cover and flywheel housing along with the oil pans if engine will be out.
I don't know. I'll ask. Great info. Only leak she has atm is a wet spot on steering gear.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
111 Posts
I don't know. I'll ask. Great info. Only leak she has atm is a wet spot on steering gear.
That would probably indicate a leak around the power steering pump area. Check the hoses and pump out when he has it apart. Needs to come off anyway.

Reactions: Sparkmonkey

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just went through the same thing with my 2005 LLY about 6 months ago. It started out as coolant loss over time then after a long trip just getting home, the next morning I drove a few miles, stopped and there was coolant all over the drive way. Checking the engine, the hoses were rock hard and a couple more miles the temperature went sky high. Having remembered a guy trying to buy my truck a while back that if he had it he would go ahead and put in ARP Head bolts and Mahle gaskets and it would be a million mile engine. That's what I did and it will add $1,500 to $2,000 to the cost but, that far in, why skimp? Since then, the truck does show some age related maintenance issues from time to time but it was the right thing to do. I just brought home a 2021 Sierra Denali Black Diamond so I now have to decide what to do with the 05.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why did you decide on the new truck? Just curious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts