Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pic's and procedures in this forum are very detailed and well done.
Anyone have a write up on replacing glow plugs? My SES light is on and it's giving a P0675 (cylinder 5 glow plug circut).

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've done spark plugs plenty of times and I had heard to take the inner fender off for glow plugs. I was just hoping someone would tell me I didn't have to.

·
Vendor
3,529 Posts
Inner fender only takes a minute or two to take off. No big deal

·
Registered
39 Posts
My dealer just called and said the small tip came off the glow plug and they must remove the head. Can this happen? and if the tip does break off must you remove the head?

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you put the inner fender back on does it stay tight? I just don't want it to be loose. Worried about that more than difficulty of removal.
Thanks.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts
Would anyone happen to have the directions for removing and reinstalling glow plugs for a 2003 Chevy Duramax?
Ever do spark plugs on a gas engine? Same thing just with a wire screwed on with a nut. Simple to do. If you never did them might be easiar to remove the inner fender first. Even if you did them before remiving the inner fender makes it simple.
Same thing! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
191 Posts
My dealer just called and said the small tip came off the glow plug and they must remove the head. Can this happen? and if the tip does break off must you remove the head?
How do they know the tip fell off? If it did wouldnt that cause some damage to the cylinder, piston and head?

·
Vendor
3,529 Posts
Well if its metal I would think that you could take the glow plug out then use some sort of tool with a magnet on the end to pull it out, i'd try something like that before I'd think about pulling the head off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced #5 glow plug and this was not the problem.
Can anyone tell me how to check the Glow Plug Control Module to see if it is working. I know that each glow plug is on an individual circut.

·
Registered
128 Posts
How do you know which glo plugs may be bad?

I have an 02 GMC with 214,000 miles on original plugs. The code I get on my reader refers to the glo plugs. How do you know which might be bad, and or should I just replace them all to be safe. I run up north every month and this time of year it's pretty darn cold. Is there any difference in changing the plugs on an 02 ? Remove inner wheel panel of course. I learned that on replacing the fuel filter.

Thanks,

john

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced #5 glow plug and this was not the problem.
Can anyone tell me how to check the Glow Plug Control Module to see if it is working. I know that each glow plug is on an individual circut.

I jumped the gun on this. Replacing #5 did fix the problem.
The code will tell you the glow plug that is bad. Mine was P0675. The last number tells you the cylinder #. Ex. P0674 would be #4 cylinder.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Glo-Plug photos

Just curious, where do I see the link and pictures you are referring to?

·
Registered
142 Posts
So it seems that only the few people with glow plug issues (scott&jt) are the ones who have actually changed them out...other than that not much help was rendered

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Plato - What do you mean?
Changing the glow plug from the circut that threw the code fixed the problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the same issue (P0671) but no one really had/has any tech advise how to change it. I thought it was lame that the replies were simply, ''oh, its like a spark plug'' and ''remove the inner fender well makes it easier''. I'm sure its simple enough, just need to take 20 minutes and change it. But is there any torque specs on it? Anything special to know/use? I thought this DURAMAX forum would render more assistance to those who are still learning. Thats all.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts