Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 lml with 100k miles. Threw a code for glow plug on cylindar 4. The plug unthreaded easy. No issues there but cant pull the flow plug out all the way. It feels like there is a swollen or melted tip that will not allow it to be pulled through the hole. Any advice? I don't want to break the tip off if possible.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Any chance of getting a picture of the area that your dealing with, if your trying to remove the glow plug with the socket still on, that might be the problem.
If I remember right #4 was a problem, I had to screw it back in a little remove the socket then finger'er it out.
I found having a 1/4" drive 12 mm 6 point deep socket cut it to 1 1/4" long makes for a much easier plug removal.
These are my tools of choice R & R-ing glowplugs.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Dan, #4 is the hardest one to get to with the steering shaft in the way. However, I'm using the same setup you recommend. I had about an inch between the outside end of the glow plug and the steering shaft when I was trying to pull it out. I also counted the number of exposed threads on glow plug and compared it to the number of threads on the replacement plug and they were the same so I know I have the threads all the way out but it won't come out any further when I pull. I'll try to grab a picture this weekend since I ended up putting everything together. I have not yet tried to change any of the other ones which might tell me something. At this point this thread can be moved out of the 911 section if it matters to anyone.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
The tip may have burst and now is larger in diameter than the hole it slides into. What you DO NOT want to do is break off any portion of it and have it fall into your cylinder. If you start the engine with it in there it cn have disastrous results. 'uhNo

I believe if that happened then the only way to safely remove it would be to pull the head. A tedious and expensive proposition.

Better to screw it back in. I read a thread where someone put a 4.5 Ohm resistor in the GP lead and grounded it, fooling the GPCM into thinking it was there and working. The fact is your engine does not need the GPs to start except in the coldest of conditions :grin2:

Reactions: mizterwizard

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have 2 glow plugs that are seized in the block and broke trying to get them out. I just let them be and deal with the CEL precisely because of what 407driver said, don't want to snap the tip off and have it drop into the cylinder. If I ever pull the driver side head then I will deal with them.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I have 2 glow plugs that are seized in the block and broke trying to get them out. I just let them be and deal with the CEL precisely because of what 407driver said, don't want to snap the tip off and have it drop into the cylinder. If I ever pull the driver side head then I will deal with them.
If you put a 4.5 Watt resister in the line between the terminal end for the GP and then ground it it will trick the GPCM into thinking the GP is there and no CEL. There is a thread on here that someone posted about this. Id do it if I needed to, the CEL is a PITA!

Reactions: HWI

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you put a 4.5 Watt resister in the line between the terminal end for the GP and then ground it it will trick the GPCM into thinking the GP is there and no CEL. There is a thread on here that someone posted about this. Id do it if I needed to, the CEL is a PITA!
Good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I’ve had the shorter one 4.92’ for about one year, I bought it to retrieve a metal clip inside my Jetskis fuel tank that came off the fuel cap chain.
It handles being in fluids just fine, with a clear picture on your phone or even a iPad and has a light on the tip off and on switched if it’s to dark inside.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
So I bought this to look in the cylinders of my engine when I was having issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791DG4FK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has several fitting for the end, one is magnetic. I pulled the injectors and went through that opening. If you do break a tip off this might help.
That just went onto my Christmas wish list. I'm excited. I have a camera but it has too long a focal length so that anything inside an engine is too close to see. With a viewing distance of 1.2 - 4 inches this aught to be just the ticket.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I'm sort of a worry wart. If I had a glow plug with a bad tip I'd be all about getting it out before it broke off and killed a piston and head. I've seen much worse than the picture LMLLover posted. I'd rather have it break inside the cylinder and then go get it than leave it in question. That scope makes it real doable. Even without the scope I'd go ahead and do what it took to get the glow plug out. If it left some debris inside then I'd go after it with a small magnet until I could piece the glow plug back together with no pieces missing.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I searched for other endoscopes but didn't see that one. It's on the list now too. I don't anticipate needing 11.5 feet of reach.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts