Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet 3500 crew cab extended bed dual rear wheel
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "engine check" light keeps coming on - I dont like that, so I keep erasing it. THe code.... P0676 (tells me my onboard computer dosnt like my Cyl. 6 glow plug. My truck is never left out in freezing conditions...so...is there any possible way I can damage my Duramax by erasing that code whenever the engine check light comes on>

·
Super Moderator
1,097 Posts
I'm not sure about your engine, but for the L5P at least generally the glow plug should be changed. They are still used even in non freezing conditions, although briefly. I think the computer checks them on every ignition cycle.
If the glow plug falls apart inside your motor you're going to have a much larger headache.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
I have been driving mine with a glow plug CEL for 3 months now, the only issue I see is if the CEL is set and another problem pops up, you won't know. I lost the GPCM a couple of years ago and didn't get around to replacing it for about 6 months so I had to look at the CEL all that time. I live in the PNW and it seldom gets below 25F here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was just in the same boat. I was going to replace it before winter but I was at the dealership for some front end work and they did it for me since they saw the CEL. It was pretty cheap by itself labor/material wise so I wasn’t upset that they handled it. Seems like a straight-forward job unless they are stuck.

I will agree, it is annoying.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
They're less than $20 apiece from GM and couldn't be much easier to change. That's assuming they come right out and don't bind up. I had the plugs out of my LML multiple times and they always spun right out with my fingers. Some have had them bind up though and that's a major headache.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
It is super easy and takes very little time. I just did the whole passenger side on my dads 2015. Took me less than an hour and now the CEL is no longer lit. So I’d just do it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
No remote start with a CEL, either

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yea just do it :LOL: They really are pretty easy. And yes, even though it is summer here, every time i clear my glow plug light...comes back on within 2 key cycles so...there must be a diagnostic run on it regardless of temperature. Thats on a 2010 though

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet 3500 crew cab extended bed dual rear wheel
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are great...thanks for the responses. my back is bothering me ( I am 81 ) so while in earlier times "field stripping" just about anything that goes "whirrr" would be no issue for me....I am going to have my local GM dealer do it. (Findly, formly Tims, in Prescott....reliable, competent, and fair people. The quote was an hour of labor and forty bucks for the "official" glow plug. (I dont have the special tool to handle glow plugs that dont want to come out...so I consider this just "insurance...!)

here's another question. "clearing" the code. I have kept clearing it, because I like to know if there is any GOOD reason for my "engine check" light to come on. The GM dealer tech. will use the far more sophisticated shop 0BD II hook-up device than we peasants have purchased at Auto Zone.

So...question...is there ANY way the GM device could screw up my computer, if I just tell the tech. to use the "read & clear only" feature....? (those who have figured it out....know why I am concerned...I am certainly not admitting or advocating something terribly nasty happened to my DPF, CAT, & various other fun stuff that helps me use more diesel fuel and risk "limp modes"...I just dont want to wind up with a truck that starts going into "limp" mode.,,.)

·
Super Moderator
1,097 Posts
I'm trying to read between the lines here, so cut me a little slack. If you have a "custom tune" and there is an outstanding recall on your truck for any kind of reprogramming, they might be obligated to reflash your truck. If not, they should just clear the code after they change the plug.
Go to the Chevy recall page and punch in your VIN, see what comes up.

Edit,
Let me rephrase just a bit, I didn't mean to say that they'll just reprogram the truck if it has a custom tune. I really just meant that if there is some kind of outstanding recall that involves reprogramming.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts