Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the stuoid question, do all Duramaxes have glow plugs? Also, is it the engine light on the tach,speedo whatever,that you wait to go off before you start the DMAX? Sorry for the stupid questions!!!!:fart

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry for the stuoid question, do all Duramaxes have glow plugs? Also, is it the engine light on the tach,speedo whatever,that you wait to go off before you start the DMAX? Sorry for the stupid questions!!!!:fart
No such thing as a stupid question.
Yes all DMaxes have glow plugs. The Glow plug light only stays on for a second or two. I have started mine up many times without waiting for the light to go out...even in really cold temps

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes, over the summer the glow plug light on my LMM would just flash on for a fraction of a second but over the past week it has stayed on for a couple of seconds first thing in the morning. Those are sure fast heating glow plugs !!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jim - the light is the one that looks like a coil of wires, not the engine looking one. It's super quick to heat up, and sometimes doesn't even come on at all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
mine hasnt come on yet-or maybe im just not waiting long enough?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I just bought a used 06 2500HD SB with a DMax (out of warranty - mileage). I have not seen the light come on at all. I would have thought turning the key forward would at least make it come on to show it works. Anyone know of issues with the wait to start light? All other instrument lights works. Could the light be burnt out? PS, As a precaution, I turn the key and wait 5-10 seconds before starting but my wife also drives it and I need to rely on the light. (formerly Cummins driver!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thing to know about DMax trucks is that the glow plugs will heat up the cylinders in less then 2 seconds...even on the coldest mornings.
It won't hurt anything to crank it over cold. Depending on the temp outside, it may not be cold enough for the glow plugs to come on for more then a split second.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was told when I purchased my truck that the dmax has quick heating glow plugs. You will not see the light at all if it's not cold enough. The warmer it is(if the light comes on at all) the faster the light goes off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I noticed that the first start of the day (usually in the morning) is the only time it starts. The rest of the day/night because the engine is warm, it won't come on anylonger.

Also, the light you want to see is just above your blue high beam indicator. The glow plug light is yellow in color and looks like a coiled wire. You can't miss it when it lights up.

Again, if the engine is just ever so slightly warm, the light won't even come on. I noticed three days ago when the outside temp was 100F, my diesel started up that afternoon without being run for the past 24hours and the glow plug never came on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts