Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a code P0674 occur on my truck, it appears to be a glow plug issue.

Is it safe to drive it until the glow plug is replaced or should I wait and have it fixed first?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought, just making sure.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
With a cel, the remote start won't work.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just replaced the #6 on my truck. I got an AC Delco glow plug for $20 at O'Reilly's. It's a pretty simple job. You just have to remove the fender liner. Your problem is the #4 plug which is the second one back from the front on the driver's side. The only tough one is the first #2 glow plug.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My#4 plug was covered under warranty this week. Good news for me !

·
Registered
63 Posts
even if not covered under warranty the dealer only charged me 600 bucks for all 8. to me that's not as bad I thought it could be. I only had one out but for this cost why not replace all.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I just replaced the #6 on my truck. I got an AC Delco glow plug for $20 at O'Reilly's. It's a pretty simple job. You just have to remove the fender liner. Your problem is the #4 plug which is the second one back from the front on the driver's side. The only tough one is the first #2 glow plug.
my number 2 is currently out...damn

i have replaced two already at 87K miles on my 08

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
My#4 plug was covered under warranty this week. Good news for me !
That's great news, idamainer! How was your dealership visit? We'd love to hear about your experience. Also if you ever have questions or concerns in the future, we're here to help. We look forward to your response!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
even if not covered under warranty the dealer only charged me 600 bucks for all 8. to me that's not as bad I thought it could be. I only had one out but for this cost why not replace all.
$600 is a lot more than a DIY

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I had a P0673, cleared it and a week later P0672, cleared it and 2 days later it came back. I changed all 8 and the P0672 will not clear. Don't mean to hijack a thread, but is there anyone out there who has had a similar problem?

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
I bet that dealer loves you! $600 is absolutely outrageous. So you paid $160 for glow plugs and $440 for labor...OMG! You got taken for a ride.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
By the way, I got the AC plugs on Amazon for $12.73 each. $600 seems a little steep for the 4 hour job that it was.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The glow plugs only operate for a few seconds at first start-up, after that, they just go along for the ride.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
By the way, I got the AC plugs on Amazon for $12.73 each. $600 seems a little steep for the 4 hour job that it was.
Shouldn't even be a 4 hour job. 5 minutes for each fender liner, then 10-15 minutes for each side of the engine. Should be able to do the entire job in an hour.

A shop will charge double or triple for the parts, so you would be looking at ~$60/each on the plugs.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Shouldn't even be a 4 hour job. 5 minutes for each fender liner, then 10-15 minutes for each side of the engine. Should be able to do the entire job in an hour.

A shop will charge double or triple for the parts, so you would be looking at ~$60/each on the plugs.
I wasn't racing anybody and took a coffee break, but I would like to see someone do it in an hour. Passenger side was easy, but drivers side had stuff in the way. 4 hours from walking out to the garage to putting the last tool away. Could probably shave at least an hour off next time now that I know which tools I need. The kicker is that I still have the code.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That's great news, idamainer! How was your dealership visit? We'd love to hear about your experience. Also if you ever have questions or concerns in the future, we're here to help. We look forward to your response!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care
My dealership visits sucked just in case you care.....:thumb

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I wasn't racing anybody and took a coffee break, but I would like to see someone do it in an hour. Passenger side was easy, but drivers side had stuff in the way. 4 hours from walking out to the garage to putting the last tool away. Could probably shave at least an hour off next time now that I know which tools I need. The kicker is that I still have the code.
What code do you have currently?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
My dealership visits sucked just in case you care.....:thumb

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't have a great experience, Cauntx24. Feel free to send us a private message with more details in regard to your visit. We'd be happy to look further into this situation.

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

1 - 20 of 25 Posts