Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard before our big economy situation that GM was bringing a 4.5 liter diesel to the table for 1/2 ton pickups. Said to be made solely by GM, so it wouldn't be called a duramax. In our current economy GM has post poned production, has anyone heard anything more on this?
IMO this would be one kick a** truck, should give great fuel Econ and should be a rocket due to the light weight pickup!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I heard before our big economy situation that GM was bringing a 4.5 liter diesel to the table for 1/2 ton pickups. Said to be made solely by GM, so it wouldn't be called a duramax. In our current economy GM has post poned production, has anyone heard anything more on this?
IMO this would be one kick a** truck, should give great fuel Econ and should be a rocket due to the light weight pickup!

I momentarily worked in the plant that was going to house all of the manufacturing equipment for that motor. but I think the idea was scrapped shortly after the GM Tax money give away partyRavittt
But seeing as how they're building a diesel for the cruze i would think something has to be in the works for a 1/2 ton

·
Registered
227 Posts

Well it was just GM working on it, but from what I heard it was still to be called Duramax. They made a working one and put one in a 2500 body or a heavy 1/2 if I remember correctly. They even had one in a Tahoe.

It just depends if the GM executives decide to get their head out of their asses and make what the consumers want.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Well it was just GM working on it, but from what I heard it was still to be called Duramax. They made a working one and put one in a 2500 body or a heavy 1/2 if I remember correctly. They even had one in a Tahoe.

It just depends if the GM executives decide to get their head out of their asses and make what the consumers want.
Aint that the truth

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'll be worth it in my opinion, but you're right those GM execs need to pull their head outta their arses. Hopefully these babies will be available to us, when they do I'll definetly check into them. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
all the little half tons zippin around blowin smoke? ehhhh that's a reality I don't want to wake up to

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
there is also a small cummins motor that Toyota or Nissan (I can't remember off the top of my head) is testing out . read it in the most recent diesel power mag.

my 2500 dmax would be sitting in a gm dealer lot the day after they released the mini-max (if they ever do) cause id trade this bish in!!

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Dodge is working on a 1/2T diesel option right now. With GM putting a diesel in the Cruze and Dodge putting one in a 1/2 ton, we may finally be seeing the revolution of American made diesels.
From what I was told, the Dodge engine is basically an upgraded 4At.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I do know the diesel for the Jeep Cherokee is coming next year I think.

·
DMAX LML
595 Posts
Id love to see that come out in a Tahoe!

·
Registered
991 Posts
:rockin^^^^^

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Dodge is working on a 1/2T diesel option right now. With GM putting a diesel in the Cruze and Dodge putting one in a 1/2 ton, we may finally be seeing the revolution of American made diesels.
From what I was told, the Dodge engine is basically an upgraded 4At.

That is correct on Cummins working with Nissan and their Titan 1/2 ton line of trucks. There was an article on it in Diesel Power Mag.

Here is the link. Direct Injection - Diesel Power Magazine

I know from experience with my friend who has a Nissan Titan, that truck was horrible on gas, soooo many minor problems that would make you go batty.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Better believe it, if GM is thinking about them, all the other manufactures gonna be right there with em! I'd keep my 2500HD as a toy and buy a 1/2 diesel for my everyday truck! I was rather disappointed to hear GM post pone the 4.5

·
I'm That Guy...
16,694 Posts
Idea was scrapped, maybe eventually it'll be brought back. It was supposed to be a Duramax, but I doubt it'll come back without going to the drawing board at a low level since new emissions requirements have been introduced.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Id love to see that come out in a Tahoe!
We were talking about this the other day in the office. You can bet if this thing comes out in a Tahoe, I will give it a couple 2-3 years to work all the kinks out. I mean you know there are going to screw something up with the transmission and rear end. Always do, but when all the kinks are worked out I will be trading in momma's new Tahoe or a diesel one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I work for GM Powertrain, the 4.5 is still alive. it's just been put on the back burner due to economy and emission concerns. I believe they are still running them on the dyno's now and then, so possibilty of it comming out is not dead. That's about all I know, but if I here anything official I'll be sure to post it up.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
What happened to the guy that was building a mid-mounted, aluminum chassis corvette with a salvaged 4.5 minimax? It was in diesel power a while back.
In my mind, gm has two options; either beat everyone else to the punch with a 1/2 ton diesel, or play catch up, and try to capitalize on any mistakes other manufacturer's make.
The only downside to the small diesel market is that it's gonna lead to more regs, more emissions crap, more locked ecm's, etc.,etc.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts