Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

General Motors has announced it will expand the use of a brake override system to all eligible cars, just as the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has reportedly opened an investigation into brake issues on GM products that could see a recall of up to 6.2 million vehicles.

The "enhanced smart pedal" technology will be installed on all GM vehicles with an automatic transmission and electronic throttle control by 2012 says GM. The software will allow the brakes to override the throttle if both pedals are pressed simultaneously.

As for the possible recall, NHTSA said it is looking into a situation of brake line corrosion on 6 million GM pickups and SUVs made from 1999-2003 and 189,000 2500 heavy-duty pickups made in 2003. The NHTSA says it has received 110 complaints and allegations of three crashes relating to the loss of braking power due to corroded brake lines.

Toyota recently announced the expansion of a brake override system to all of its vehicles after it recalled million of vehicles due to sticking brake pedals.

More: GM Announces Brake Override System for All Vehicles as Massive Brake Recall Looms on AutoGuide.com

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
man that's something....

·
Registered
90 Posts
No more power braking!!!! DAMN!

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
................:):d

·
Registered
150 Posts
In regards to corroded brake lines, while I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB, we had a 1997 1.5T Ford panel van that the left rear brake line that had coroded and blew on my way back to the building one day. This was in 2005. Now in late 2006 early 2007 all of the remaining lines had to be replaced due to corrosion. I couldn't believe those lines would rust out so quickly.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
uh guys FYI this has been around on both gas and diesel GMT-800s went drive by wire in 2003 and 2001, respectively. Its not something new....search 'brake torque management'.

The dmax brake torque management isnt that aggressive; ie you can still do a burnout/brake stand even when stock. The gassers are much more aggressive and always have been. Hop in any 2003+ V8 tahoe/suburban/whatever and try to do a power-braked burnout...let me know how far you get. :) ;)

ben

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Might want to check mine then

·
Vendor
2,279 Posts
uh guys FYI this has been around on both gas and diesel GMT-800s went drive by wire in 2003 and 2001, respectively. Its not something new....search 'brake torque management'.

The dmax brake torque management isnt that aggressive; ie you can still do a burnout/brake stand even when stock. The gassers are much more aggressive and always have been. Hop in any 2003+ V8 tahoe/suburban/whatever and try to do a power-braked burnout...let me know how far you get. :) ;)

ben
Are you saying the duramax's already have the brake override system?

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Are you saying the duramax's already have the brake override system?
yes, they will limit power to some extent if you hold the brake and press the throttle. But only when stopped; ie, trying to do a powerbraked burnout.

As soon as you are moving forward over 3mph or something, brake torque management is disabled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Corroded brake lines, I'm done with 'em

I just replaced all of my main lines, I still need to do the rear axle lines. I bought this truck, a 2003, because I was tired of corrosion failures in my '95 half-ton. When my brakes blew last month I just decided I couldn't put up with exploding brake lines anymore. I originally planned to do them in stainless steel, but figured it was going to be a pain to work with. I came across copper/nickel alloy lines. This was really great stuff to work with, flared well, formed without kinking and it's not going to corrode through like steel.

This figures though, on my half-ton there was a recall on the windshield wiper motor. I pursued it two or three times and was told my truck wasn't included, though it displayed the symptoms. I took the unit apart, verified the recall failure, repaired it, wrote up an analysis and a week later got a letter saying the recall applied to my truck. But I fixed it myself, so no compensation.

The brakes, five mild steel lines are clustered on top of the frame, about under the driver's seat leading to the ABS module. They live in the spray of the left front wheel. They're unprotected and accumulate corrosives. All of the forward lines crumbled as I removed them the one back line was weak at the front,but okay toward the rear. This recall seems well founded to me.

I found it ironic that exhaust systems are corrosion free stainless steel, but brake lines are mild steel and easily corroded.

Geoff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts