Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well over a month ago before I started looking into the whole towing/tuner/turbo breaking option I called my dealer so see if I could add a banks speed break and how it would affect warrenty. The service manager said if something failed it would nto be covered if they could find evidence of the speed break. He then told me he would look into seeing if they could get the Kodiak medium duty exhaust break to my truck:

The exhaust brake is a valve in the exhaust stream that closes to provide back pressure to the engine for the purpose of slowing the vehicle during descents on steep grades. 1) PCM/ECU provides power HSD (High Side Drive) to Exhaust Brake Relay coil if the following criteria are met: (Driver requested Exhaust Brake via Exhaust Brake Switch, TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) engaged,Throttle is low (less than 7%), Engine RPM greater than 1200 RPM, and ABS not Active) 2.)EBC provides ground LSD (Low Side Drive) to other side of Exhaust Relay coil when ABS is Inactive. 3.)TCM (Transmission Control Module) monitors ABS Active signal via serial data bus in order to disengage the TCC when ABS is Active. 4.)A green Exhaust telltale located in TTM (TellTale Module) will be lit when the Exhaust Brake is Active Exhaust brake contains exhaust restrictor RPO (NPE) functionality in that it can be used as a warm-up aid for Family school bus.

My Dealer called me today and wants to put this in my truck next Tuesday, he said it will be the first 08 LMM to have ti done to and if I didn't mind having it done to my truck they would do it for free if I give feed back reports.

I then asked him how this would affet warrenty and he said it will not be of any issues at all due to the fact that Gm is doing all the work and no power is being added to the truck.

As for now I only know that it will be added and will work in conjunction with a togle switch while in tow haul mode.

This could be an answer to what I have been looking for. I will keep you posted and be sure to hook up my 5er on Tuesday night for a trial run.

Any thoughts from you guys would be great.

Later
Phil

·
Registered
213 Posts
i don't tow... anything really :)
but that sounds pretty cool, and it seems like a pretty cool dealership!

·
Stupid Has The Balls
2,515 Posts
Um . . . You might want to get that in writing!
I second that. Have a witness sign it as well if possible. Then you will have complete control of the situation should go wrong

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading a few horror posts on here I will for sure have it in writing as for a pretty cool dealership they for some reason surprized me with this, this is the dealership that takes pics of the exhaust when you go in for warrenty work.

later
Phil

·
Registered
994 Posts
That should be pretty nice. I had an exhaust brake on a dodge and it worked pretty dang good. I've been thinking about making one for my chevy:D

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
for free?!?!? thats like a 1200 add on to get aftermarket so you just SCORED!

exhaust brakes are awesome lol but i support the written claim that GM will honor their warranty

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really? The service manager said if I let them add it to my truck that they would cover the cost, because I asked him what it would run me? He said that they have never done it to a customers tuck but they have done it to a workers 06 LLY and it works great. Knowing me I will get screwed some how LOL, heres to being a guniepig.

·
Registered
813 Posts
dealer doesnt underwrite the warranty.... i dont doubt the dealer, they may even be willing to overlook things, but if you run into an issue that gm wants to look into you may have trouble....

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
BD diesel makes an exhaust brake kit that is between 1200 and 1400 dollars that does essentially the same thing as what your dealer is going to put in, you got real lucky that you have a dealer that is willing to foot that kind of thing :rockin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Keep us posted! It is good to find a dealer who will work with you...LUCKY ........!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it is not an exhaust break it is a turbo break and it turns out is was not really done by the dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pardon my ignorance , but what is a turbo break?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It closes the vanes on the turbo causing pressure creating a breaking effect, it was not the exhaust break I thought they were talking about. There is still a noticable differance though.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It had something to do with the mapping and a toggle switch beign wired in. It engages with the toggle and does not need tow haul engaged and works threw the entire speed range, the 07 classics only worked with tow haul on and just down to 80kms.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts