Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the process of which GM fixes the head gaskets on LLYs? Specifically if they lift the cab off the truck?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Some lift the cab, some remove the front clip [fenders radiator and etc], and some just lean over the fender. It all depends what the mechanic wants to do.

I removed the wheels and dropped it on the spindles, when I did mine- Preventive Maintenance-- [I was 75 then Ha Ha].

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
No need to lift the cab. Pull the wheels & get the truck as low as you can.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never heard of people dropping the wheels off. Makes sense though. Is there an "official" way that GM recommends?

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Gm will lift the cab

·
Registered
10,681 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So when the standard labor times go from 30-36hours to complete the job, is this in terms of lifting the cab? The reason I ask is because I plan to change my gaskets and stud my heads and am trying to figure out if I wanna pull the engine out or lift the cab.

I'll be doing an EGR delete and installing a down pipe too while im in there

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If you have a lift I think it would be easier to lift the cab. I hate separating the engine and trans and re-connecting, that's the worst part IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I have done plenty without lifting the cab just flatten the front tires and take the inner fenders out

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I have access to a lift, so maybe I'll do that.

Though going back to pulling the engine out, I was considering maybe replacing my rods with LML rods but im not sure if this is worth it or not. Any thoughts? No plans on racing, just keeping my truck for several more years

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If you do the rods you'll have to have the whole rotating assembly balanced. I don't think it's worth it personally. If you want to do rods save up and do some good aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah aftermarket ones are completely out of the question right now so thats why I was considering the LML ones since they arent expensive at all. But like you said, doesnt seem worth it unless I do go the aftermarket route.

So when people pull the wheels out when doing head gaskets, is this literally just to make the truck lower to the ground just so its easier to reach?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yep. You can remove the wheels and put a 4x4 under the control arms and basically set the truck right on the ground.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting.

The only problem now is im trying to find a set of stock heads to put in so I can just immediately swap out the heads and put the studs in without much downtime

·
Registered
504 Posts
Forgive me for the thread highjack but I am in the same boat with head gaskets right now. I am planning on doing my own Dye Penetrant test and flatness check on the heads. Any thoughts out there as far as where to look for common crack locations, specs on flatness?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have your heads out already?

·
Registered
504 Posts
No, this weekend or next. I ended up having to do this work myself because there is no one local that can pressure test and I should be able to do the other two checks myself for free.

Looks like a hell of a job but I can't afford the $3800 to have done.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
It's not a hard job, it's just time consuming taking off the 38 layers of crap stacked on top of the engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got mine back together. Each has his preference, but if ever do another one I will probably do the same thing I did on this one. I removed both front fender (not too bad to do) then after having trouble getting a couple of exhaust bolts loose, I lifted the cab about 4 inches. Didn't remove the cab, but a few cab bolts and a jack and you can raise a cab in about 20 minutes and give yourself much more access to the back of the engine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How long did it take you in all?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts