Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Medium dutys have a very different cord. It runs to back of battery box under drivers door to the plug in receptacle and yes it is heavier guage cable.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got this info today (from NTSB) about the repair procedure, it's pretty detailed. My truck will be fixed next week. Dealer assures me that they have the kit in stock and will be giving me a rental while it's being fixed. (I also just got an emissions related check engine light so the timing is good).

View attachment RCSB-19V328-4694.pdf

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for posting that Henry42. I just bought a used 2018 and they advertised the truck as having a block heater.. But I couldn't find the cord. They also show the truck as having no active recalls. I think they cut the cord and wiped the recall, I'll go visit them with your notice in hand!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for posting that Henry42. I just bought a used 2018 and they advertised the truck as having a block heater.. But I couldn't find the cord. They also show the truck as having no active recalls. I think they cut the cord and wiped the recall, I'll go visit them with your notice in hand!
Due to so many vehicles requiring the recall repair, GM is rolling out the repair recall state by state. If you read the document it lists which states have already been notified. Secondly, dealers were sent less kits than they will ultimately need since nobody knows how many people will come in for the repair or even when they will come in and it will take many months for enough kits for all the affected vehicles to be produced. For example a truck owner in Miami will probably not care if it takes 5 years to get the part put in while one in Alaska is already chomping at the bit to get theirs.

Interestingly enough, it appears that the cord which was cut is actually removable and just clips onto the bottom of the heater, which begs the question as to why they are replacing the whole heater in addition to just the cord? I'm guessing that the new heater has a lower output and thus a lower current draw -- just my thought on this.

One last comment -- I bought my truck from Love Buick GMC in South Carolina but live in Long Island NY (my local dealer just couldn't get the truck I wanted) and they gave me a very hard time about doing the repair recall telling me that they only had kits for their customers. I told them that they cut the cord and one way or another they would be replacing it. I was already on the 800 line with GM about to file a complaint when they called me back and told me to bring it in. And yes, I read the service adviser the riot act/demanded a callback from the service department manager when they gave me that load of BS!

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
If your truck has not been to a gm dealer since the recall wnet out, it's possible the heater cord has never been unwrapped from the factory position.

They are tucked up under the battery on the PASSENGER side.
(when they edited the dmax supplement to add the info for the 2.8L, they screwed up the info regarding this)

·
Registered
304 Posts
If your truck has not been to a gm dealer since the recall wnet out, it's possible the heater cord has never been unwrapped from the factory position.

They are tucked up under the battery on the PASSENGER side.
(when they edited the dmax supplement to add the info for the 2.8L, they screwed up the info regarding this)
Cut or not it still needs the new one put in. Unless of course it's a gasser.

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
Cut or not it still needs the new one put in. Unless of course it's a gasser.
I agree 100% that it needs updated. (and clearly that is the plan -- with colder areas first)
Just trying to point out that it might still have the cord...and how to find it if it does.

Lots of threads over many years with new owners wondering if their dmax is supposed to have one. (They all have one but the location can make them difficult to find)

If you bought it from a gm dealer, after the recall came out, they will have cut/removed the cord.
If you got it somewhere else, the cord might still be in tied in factory location.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Engine Block Heater Disabled -100

So am i SOL for getting the fix because they refunded $100 on the window sticker?'dunno;

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
So am i SOL for getting the fix because they refunded $100 on the window sticker?'dunno;
I would not think so … you did not make the choice
I am in same situation …
as far as I am concerned they will put it in … or wait for my call for the tow truck from Jackman main when it wont start ….under warrantee :grin2:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
so I just got back from the dealer …
he say's my 2019 Duramax is not on the list for a recall
he double checked the V.I.N.
he is baffled .. and looked where the cord was removed … he is going to check into it ...Hmmmmm
he said I should have one ….

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
You can also check your VIN from home:

https://my.gm.com/recalls

Maybe they will 'warranty' install it and ask for the $100 back??

Or warranty install it and let you keep the credit for your trouble....

And if you have the phone app for Onstar/myGMC or MyChev you can also check the VIN with it.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts

And if you have the phone app for Onstar/myGMC or MyChev you can also check the VIN with it.

Per that site, there is no open recalls for my truck either.... I have a feeling this is going to be a battle w the dealer

·
Registered
304 Posts

Per that site, there is no open recalls for my truck either.... I have a feeling this is going to be a battle w the dealer
If the part number being quoted is in fact the heater and cord then it's about a $50 part, so if you got $100 off then you could always just put it in yourself and call it a day. Doesn't seem to be that hard of a job and if you're good you could reclaim and reuse all the coolant that comes out with the old core, just use a clean container to catch it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Noticed this today:

GM Program #:
N192264210
Date Issued:
Oct 15, 2019
Program Title:

Enable Diesel Engine Block Heater - Exp. 11/30/2021

Program Description:

Certain 2017 - 2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 and GMC Sierra 2500/3500 vehicles, equipped with the 6.6l Duramax diesel engine (RPO L5P) and optional engine-block heater cord, may have a condition in which the block heater cable function was disabled.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the engine block heater and cord.

So it looks like the fix is in.

Now how much you want to bet that the dealers have no parts in stock?
Had mine done this morning. Was in and out in just over 2 hours.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
If the part number being quoted is in fact the heater and cord then it's about a $50 part, so if you got $100 off then you could always just put it in yourself and call it a day. Doesn't seem to be that hard of a job and if you're good you could reclaim and reuse all the coolant that comes out with the old core, just use a clean container to catch it.
Nah, its a GM issue they can do it... I'll see to that... If it was cord only that would be fine, but I'm not laying on my back to drain the coolant and then snake myself around to remove the heater element, and then have to worry about burping the coolant system...

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Nah, its a GM issue they can do it... I'll see to that... If it was cord only that would be fine, but I'm not laying on my back to drain the coolant and then snake myself around to remove the heater element, and then have to worry about burping the coolant system...
My exact feeling also …
it was designed with a block heater ...factory equipt with one out the door...
they can remedy the issue..

Reactions: NHfireDmax

·
Registered
31 Posts
Replacement parts are shipping!!!

Just had my 2019 in for warranty work, while there the service adviser mentioned the recall. I laughed and asked if they were even still working on replacement parts. He said they actually have began shipping out the cord kit.

They are prioritizing the cold climate areas to receive the replacements first (supposedly) and I got them to order mine today.

For anyone who is interested the part number is 19419326

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just had my 2019 in for warranty work, while there the service adviser mentioned the recall. I laughed and asked if they were even still working on replacement parts. He said they actually have began shipping out the cord kit.

They are prioritizing the cold climate areas to receive the replacements first (supposedly) and I got them to order mine today.

For anyone who is interested the part number is 19419326
Had mine done yesterday. Parts are at dealers in Canada.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I stopped at my local dealer in Ohio. No parts currently available at this time.

They did offer to snip my old one off though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had my heater cord cut off at an oil change in September. Last week Dealer advised he had 10 cord fixes arrive in mid-October. Dealer installed mine on 10/28, which was just in time as the temperature dropped to -11 on 10/30 (I'm in Montana). In fairness to GM, it appears they are trying to address the issue by prioritizing the shipment of limited parts to colder areas as they become available.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts