Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I received a recall notice via On-star a couple months back, but when I took it in the service guy said he showed no recall notice in his system and even if it did they had no parts to fix it with.
Fast forward to today and I just received an email from the dealership saying I am due a recall for the cord / heater. Emailed service adviser asking for guidance before I waste the 2 hrs of bringing it in to be told to go home we have no parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Spudbudy - I'm in the Greater St Louis area, IL side. Took mine in for a few issues. They didn't have the block heater on hand but they put it on order. I double checked with the parts department to confirm and they said they will call when it comes in. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I checked with southern Wisconsin Dealer today on availability. None available. Did a locator search, showed no dealers have them.
He gave me #12705875 for the heater and 84807829 for the cord. He said they did not change the cord kit, just the block heater. I did a Google search tonight and the big Internet Parts Dealers show inventory, so I ordered one of each. We'll see if they really do have them. I am not holding my breath. If they really do, I'll have a dealer someplace install it.

He said they received 4-of each in and was instructed to install them on the new unsold, truck. Looks like GM values new customers more then dedicated repeat customers. Is it just me, or is GM really handling this poorly?

Gb

·
Registered
9 Posts
He said they received 4-of each in and was instructed to install them on the new unsold, truck. Looks like GM values new customers more then dedicated repeat customers. Is it just me, or is GM really handling this poorly?
This might come down to legislation. I remember hearing that a dealer must satisfy all open recalls before selling a new vehicle. If they wish to sell trucks with open recalls, they must be sold as used. In a supply-constrained situation, it's easy to see how dealers might prioritize unsold vehicles over ones that have already been sold.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
This might come down to legislation. I remember hearing that a dealer must satisfy all open recalls before selling a new vehicle. If they wish to sell trucks with open recalls, they must be sold as used. In a supply-constrained situation, it's easy to see how dealers might prioritize unsold vehicles over ones that have already been sold.
I heard that also
that's why I believe some of us have an R7U.. RPO code on our Built sheets ,,,they technically deleted the heater so they could sell the truck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Had to take mine in again today for a check engine light, glow plug code set. So, while I was there I checked on the block heater backorder status. No update and the parts dept rep says he's not even sure they have a reliable supplier for them yet. He also said he has a ton of back orders yet unfilled due to the strike a while back. He's being told it will be Feb 2020 before things near normal again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Your dealers really suck! Mine was replaced a month ago. Dealer ordered it for me and installed a week and a half later. Easy pleasy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had mine replaced about 3 weeks ago. They just rolled up the wire and set it on the fender on passenger side. I still haven't figured out how this wire is suppose to reach the grill so I can plug it in when needed.lol

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had mine replaced about 3 weeks ago. They just rolled up the wire and set it on the fender on passenger side. I still haven't figured out how this wire is suppose to reach the grill so I can plug it in when needed.lol
GM provided very specific routing and securing instructions in the recall. Clearly you dealer did not follow them.

Here's a link to the document:

Product Safety Recall N182206311 Diesel Engine ... - NHTSA
https://static.nhtsa.gov › odi › rcl › RCSB-19V328-3409

I'd bring the truck back and ream then out real good!

Reactions: lonerider98

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Sooo.. I get a call back in March for the cord replacment ..
I tell them I will wait until truck needs a service to bring it in .. ( let them make a buck at the same time ..)
Fast Forward to 2 weeks ago .. that call...onstar says truck is at 10% for oil service lets make an appointment ..
I say ... ok and you can do the heater cord and def recall at same time ...
THE REPLY IS .. WE DONT HAVE THE CORDS IN STOCK IT WILL NEED TO BE ORDERED .. LETS DO THE SERVICE AND WE CAN BRING IT BACK LATER FOR THE RECALL ANOTHER TIME ...
yea ok 2 days with out the truck works for me ...
service will be done in my driveway thank you

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got the recall postcard in the mail. So I called and was told we do not keep those in stock. We will order and call you when they arrive. Three weeks pass and I call to check up on the order. Was told they had them but were already scheduled through the next week. So I got my name on the books. I do not believe they want to fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I started this thread. My truck is finally fixed. In fact they did it twice, why I have no Idea. Got a call from the dealership since I was the squeaky wheel. Took the truck in and they replaced the block heater. About two weeks later, I get another call from the dealership. They tell me they have the engine block heater in stock to bring the truck in. I told them it was fixed. They said yea it was fixed under the warranty now it needs fixed under the recall. Crazy..........

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Had my heater cord replaced two months ago. Ask them to make sure they properly remove the air from the coolant system. They left air in my coolant system and fried the level sensor in my coolant reservoir ... right before I was headed out of town for a 2,000 mile RV road trip vacation. Luckily they had the reservoir in stock, because the level sensor is part of the reservoir assembly. It was still a sh-t show to get out of town on time because tech said he could not reproduce the issue, yet the coolant low level light was on the dash when I picked up my truck the first time from the dealership. So, if you see a coolant low level light come on after the heater cord replacement, tell the service advisor to replace the coolant reservoir. Hopefully they listen to you.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I got the recall postcard in the mail. So I called and was told we do not keep those in stock. We will order and call you when they arrive. Three weeks pass and I call to check up on the order. Was told they had them but were already scheduled through the next week. So I got my name on the books. I do not believe they want to fix it.
I started this thread. My truck is finally fixed. In fact they did it twice, why I have no Idea. Got a call from the dealership since I was the squeaky wheel. Took the truck in and they replaced the block heater. About two weeks later, I get another call from the dealership. They tell me they have the engine block heater in stock to bring the truck in. I told them it was fixed. They said yea it was fixed under the warranty now it needs fixed under the recall. Crazy..........
Had my heater cord replaced two months ago. Ask them to make sure they properly remove the air from the coolant system. They left air in my coolant system and fried the level sensor in my coolant reservoir ... right before I was headed out of town for a 2,000 mile RV road trip vacation. Luckily they had the reservoir in stock, because the level sensor is part of the reservoir assembly. It was still a sh-t show to get out of town on time because tech said he could not reproduce the issue, yet the coolant low level light was on the dash when I picked up my truck the first time from the dealership. So, if you see a coolant low level light come on after the heater cord replacement, tell the service advisor to replace the coolant reservoir. Hopefully they listen to you.
1. You guys really have some shit shows for dealers. Pardon my French. I try to stay professional about my profession and those in it but sometimes it’s really hard.

2. If you need a part replaced under warranty and then the recall parts or even the recall itself, become available yes you will have to have the recall repairs completed separately. I get it, it’s a hassle, but I’ve seen where the recall parts are of different design, etc, from what might have been replaced previously. Any other reason for doing the recall after repairs have already been completed previously is just a paperwork/process thing that should probably be changed but it is done that way to help and ensure the best/most safe results for the owner, nothing more.

3. However in the hell having air in a cooling system can make a low coolant level sensor quit working correctly is beyond me. Never seen it personally. Doesn’t even seem mechanically possible but lord knows I’ve seen some crazy stuff in 24 years of this rodeo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sooo.. I get a call back in March for the cord replacment ..
I tell them I will wait until truck needs a service to bring it in .. ( let them make a buck at the same time ..)
Fast Forward to 2 weeks ago .. that call...onstar says truck is at 10% for oil service lets make an appointment ..
I say ... ok and you can do the heater cord and def recall at same time ...
THE REPLY IS .. WE DONT HAVE THE CORDS IN STOCK IT WILL NEED TO BE ORDERED .. LETS DO THE SERVICE AND WE CAN BRING IT BACK LATER FOR THE RECALL ANOTHER TIME ...
yea ok 2 days with out the truck works for me ...
service will be done in my driveway thank you
Same experience: Got the recall last fall, the dealer cut the cord -- didn't know this was their "fix" until I looked at the invoice. Went through one fortunately mild Iowa winter THEN after the cold weather was gone they had the new block heater. Got it installed in April.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
truck was purchased new last June ... cord was cut and heater "deleted " on invoice as dealer cant sell a vehicle with an active open recall...was told i dont need it
6 months later I get a letter.... you have a recall ...lol
was not worried for last winter as truck was new .. and started fine up in maine on snomobile trips ..... but as it gets older ....Hmmmmm

·
Registered
22 Posts
I actually had one dealer cut the cord and another dealer install the new block heater. The local Chevy dealer had worked on both my LML and L5P in the past but didn't exactly inspire confidence. The Buick/GM dealer seemed to know what they were doing and they replaced the block heater.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts