Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just my luck. I ordered my dream truck(GMC 3500 with duramax) last week, now gm is on strike. Should I be worried about build quality or anything else?? I'm nervous now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
In same boat , might just go after the Denali on the lot vs my At4 I really want. Strike got me wondering when and if just how well they will put truck together if the are unhappy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont have one yet. Dealer said I probably wont get it until late November.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
In same boat , might just go after the Denali on the lot vs my At4 I really want. Strike got me wondering when and if just how well they will put truck together if the are unhappy.
no worse than they are already putting them together? 'dunno;

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well I can't truly speak for them... But I did visit Flint Assembly to watch my High Country get built. And I can tell you without a doubt that the single best thing I came away from there with was a sense of pride. I can't begin to tell you how many different people I spoke with on that day as my truck went down the lines. Every single one of them, without fail, shook my hand when we left their station and thanked me for purchasing one of their trucks. They honestly believe in the product they are producing and take pride in it. Strike or no strike, I don't see them doing their jobs differently myself. YMMV...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Beagle, I had exactly the same experience when I toured the Corvette plant in Bowling Green KY right after I placed my order. And my 12 year old daughter got to start a new Z06 as it came off the line and received a certificate from BGAP congratulating her for helping bring a new Corvette to life.

Given GM's response (or maybe non-response is more accurate) to the 8L90/8L45 transmission issues, overheating Z06 Corvettes on the track, the Cadillac CUE system in general, failing wheels on GS and Z06 Corvettes, etc. I have FAR more faith in their assembly line workers than I do in upper management.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Each person I talked with explained exactly what they were doing in the process. They answered every question I could think of. I got to sit in the truck and help while programming the computers and keys. Turned the key to start her up the first time and rode off the line to test the parking pawl then on to where they check the entire drive train while running it through the gears on a 2 drum dyno. My only complaint throughout the entire day was that I couldn't bring my own camera into the plant. But they did have a PR person following us around snapping pictures all day long. And the UAW man in charge of Quality Assurance for the entire plant at the time took me, my son (who got to skip school) and my brother-in-law out for lunch insisting that the UAW pick up the tab. BEST. DAY. EVER. to a truck person....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Each person I talked with explained exactly what they were doing in the process. They answered every question I could think of. I got to sit in the truck and help while programming the computers and keys. Turned the key to start her up the first time and rode off the line to test the parking pawl then on to where they check the entire drive train while running it through the gears on a 2 drum dyno. My only complaint throughout the entire day was that I couldn't bring my own camera into the plant. But they did have a PR person following us around snapping pictures all day long. And the UAW man in charge of Quality Assurance for the entire plant at the time took me, my son (who got to skip school) and my brother-in-law out for lunch insisting that the UAW pick up the tab. BEST. DAY. EVER. to a truck person....
Great to hear, calm my fears some for my order.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Order my 3500 Denali in August, TPW of 10/14. I am hoping they put customer ordered vehicles first in line before spec allotment(s) for the same dealer.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Most of the assembly is done by computers following a set process/program. You have the UAWs who run some of those machines pressing the Green button to go and red button to stop, and some torquing a few screws here and there and the very small things that computers/robots can't do, but overall the odds of getting a lemon now a days are very very remote. So a UAW having a good or bad day, I'd be ok with what I got even if they had been on strike. Those people are the same people who come on here in a sense, they are not out the screw everyone over just because they had a bad day. If you are.. well go elsewhere.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ordered mine in June, it was supposed to be built the 17th. Loved my 05 until the day it was stolen, hated my 11 until the day I put it through the auction. Sure would love a tour...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not true at the Flint plant. There is very little robotics. Most of the final assembly is all done by hand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My pickup was in Quality control when they went on strike. Any word when the strike will be done? I know no one actually knows. Just more curious on the back story you can't find in the media.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Most of the assembly is done by computers following a set process/program. You have the UAWs who run some of those machines pressing the Green button to go and red button to stop, and some torquing a few screws here and there and the very small things that computers/robots can't do, but overall the odds of getting a lemon now a days are very very remote. So a UAW having a good or bad day, I'd be ok with what I got even if they had been on strike. Those people are the same people who come on here in a sense, they are not out the screw everyone over just because they had a bad day. If you are.. well go elsewhere.
Robots and computers play a small but important roll, as you stated, in an assembly plant. Specifically Flint assembly, the trucks are hand built. Yes robots paint and lift heavy shit, along with material handlers. But these people love what they do and take a-lot of pride in what they do. A good number are multi generational UAW. People make mistakes no doubt but none of these people, would ever jeopardize there lively hood by sabotage or being butthurt over a contract. They strike instead...

·
Registered
713 Posts
I unfortunately ordered new headlights and fog lights for my truck during this strike. Ordered them on 9/14 from GMpartsdirect and they still haven't shipped due to the strike. But oh well, its lovebug season here right now anyways. And ordering lights is no where near as bad as the poor people that ordered trucks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.