Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some feedback with remote starter systems. Would you recommend staying with a GM or what system??? What should I expect to pay at the dealer or aftermarket for the install. Thanks for sharing your .

My truck is a 07 2500HD Duramax Classic

:help

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wish I knew, but will be watching to find out anything I can!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mac, I see you have a B&W like me? I've been looking at removing my gooseneck adapter and purchasing a companion. Is it worth the coins??? I currently feel a spring affect when towing with my adapter.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Mac, I see you have a B&W like me? I've been looking at removing my gooseneck adapter and purchasing a companion. Is it worth the coins??? I currently feel a spring affect when towing with my adapter.
Once recently i got in a bind that only pictures would portray the severity of. A situation that would make you purchase a companion in a heart beat. I was doing a tight left turn in the forest with my 5'er on wet cambered dirt hair pin bend and the 5'er slid into the center and sank in a nasty hole. A hole so deep that the inside wheels were not touching the ground. Being in the middle of nowhere and fearing the bill of a 300 mile trip of a BIG tow truck I reluctantly decided that a bend in the side of the truck would be cheaper., I locked her in low reverse and floored it on full left hand down in the hope I would get released. I did and amazingly only suffered less than a 1/4" '5th wheel buckle' in the bed. Returning home I had the hitch inspected and although the system twisted a little in place it straightened after loosening the bolts. The technician said I must have got in a real pickle to shift the system but absolutely no damage at all. If only he knew. I only wish I was in the state of mind to get pictures. You never know when you need a LOT OF METAL to get you "out of a hole". SPEND THE MONEY! It was CHEAP insurance for me!!

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
i bought my 05 lly used, but it has the compustar alarm/ remote starter, works great so far. coldest I used it was -20 it fired right up with it. Not sure where or who installed it

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
there is no "factory GM" remote starter for the classic trucks....

·
Stock again...
2,191 Posts
Yeah i was gonna say that ^^ haha. I'm interested in this thread too. I finally worked out the little stalling out kink my truck had so its time for a remote start. Don't think I am going to buy one with an alarm system too, but I do want one that I can start from my smartphone. I wouldn't want to pay too much extra for that, but it would be cool to have.

Figuring out how to make it turn the heated seats on somehow would be awesome too. Not much help if the truck is still has cold seats.. lol

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Get anything made by directed electronics (pretty much anything out there). go to directed.com

The cost of them can range from 300-800 or more installed depending on model, your area, and options. If you have an auto trim design close to you i recommend them to install the system. Make sure the installer solders and doesnt use scotchlocks or wire taps.

·
Registered
2020 2500 CCSB Sierra SLT
263 Posts
My factory remote works only line of sight up to about 100 yards on a good day. The Viper system I had in my last truck was good up to a mile outdoors and would start the truck inside a concrete sub level garage from inside the building across the street...

As soon as the tax man pays me back, I will be putting a new Viper in my new ride.

·
Jank-A-Lank
1,339 Posts
just got a new viper.. most quotes are around 500-550 for me

i ordered it off amazon, paid install and save 100 bucks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts