Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell the best way to swithch to amsoil.Some have said to wait up to 30000 miles to breakin the engine. Is there a reason not to amsoil after 1st oil change out.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ya Id let the engine scrub in alil more before ya lube er up like that, the way metals and every thing is desighned now Id say on your second or third oil change you should be good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I still don't know when the first oil change is on my 06, do I just wait till the computer tells me? It looks like it will be somewhere between 7500 t0 10,000 miles based on the percentages that are being displayed.

Yep, this is my first diesel!
:)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I switched my Cummins over at 5k. No reason you can't do it new. your motor will still break in, just take a little longer. I'd say no use in wasting the oil in the truck already, at your next change swap over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm actually switching over today - we're going on a trip and leaving today and I'll be changing the oil here shortly. I've been running Rotella up until this point and my BlackStone report came back pretty good but I want to change to Amsoil anyway. I've got just over 30K on my rig although I wouldn't say that should be a benchmark for changing. If y'all want I can post my next BlackStone report to see how Amsoil matches up.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
olddirtrider said:
I still don't know when the first oil change is on my 06, do I just wait till the computer tells me? It looks like it will be somewhere between 7500 t0 10,000 miles based on the percentages that are being displayed.

Yep, this is my first diesel!
:)
I change my oil every 3k just because of the amout of fuel i run through the engine!!! I use castrol tection 15//40 oil, i still have not been sold on the synthetic oil but maybe some day!

With the 06's heving an egr i would change it pretty regular dont wait for the light mine did not come on untll 9980 miles for the first time??? 5k would be my opinnion but i like to keep things well maintained!!!

Later
Caleb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Off my last oil analysis they recommended I run 7,500 - 8000 between changes. I'm going to run 10k on the Amsoil, change it and have another analysis done. I don't want to buy into the 25K Amsoil hype due to contamination but I'm thinking I should get 10K on it. Having your oil analysed is the only way to really know though.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Usually what I do is I watch the milege and watch the color and look of the oil on the dip stick, I probably go 6k in between changes but Ive only done one change on my truck so far, Im runing rotella 15/40 right now with a k&n oil filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts