Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the new thread, alot of previous are from 08 and older. I have a buddy that has an 05 LLY with 4" exhaust and an edge juice (120HP on 5), he is lifted 4 inches with 33's. We are going to race here in the near future, wondering if i will beat him with the mods i have in my sig. I can also switch my efi tune to a 150HP tune which is faster till 50 and then starts to loose rail pressure. My 95 tune is slower till 50 but pulls harder from 50 to 100. Wondering if my lift and 35's are going to cause me to come in 2nd, or if the lly is just that much faster?? We have agreed to a 2wd non boosted launch race to keep my tie rods intact. Any thoughts concerns or verbal abuse would be appreciated :thumb

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just having some fun, i will probably leave my 95 tune on.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you dont want to loose rail pressure when your WOT......thats what ive been told at least.

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
I think if you run your 95hp tune you will probably be close. You are both lifted, so that slows both of you down. But a good 95hp efi tune will generally be better than a canned 120 tune

·
Registered
956 Posts
I'm almost thinking you have a slight advantage due to the EFI Live tune. Its been said that the canned tuners will not match power, especially the Juice with attitude.

For what its worth my 100hp EFI tune feels lightyears stronger than the Extreme tune on the juice with attitude I bought my truck with.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, is it normal that i cant get my trans to limp haha?? I will stay in it full throttle 0 to 100 and no limp even with the 150 tune? Is that because i lose rail pressure and it isnt really a 150 tune after about 65-70 mph? Ill post a video of my speedo in a few minutes, 0-85 2wd no boost at launch.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
264 Posts
Should be a good race, i would run the 95 tune just so you can get better fueling. I believe stock for stock the lly isnt to much more powerful than the lb7 just have a faster spool up. Ive ran a lifted lbz with prolly 33s or so before, he had bully dog and i was running my 90 tune. When he was on his 90 i beat him pretty good, when he turned his up all the way it was neck and neck, he could only pull almost half a truck on me....just sayin

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome, my buddy has a fresh rebuild. It would be awesome to beat him even by an inch :) His head gasket was leaking so he replaced it with all stock parts. He said he got his head port and polished? Is he talking shit to sound cool or is that possible on a diesel?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The heads can be ported and polished but unless he has some nice brand new shiny pennies, that wont happen. A nice decent set from SoCal is a lil over $2200, im sure there are cheaper but still, I wouldnt take my head to just any place that can port and polish, id take it to someone who is reputable with the specific head ur porting. just my .02

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My gauge is off because of my 35's, that was up to 87MPH by what my GPS says (ran out of road). And it was 90+ degrees outside that day, truck had been running for about 3 minutes before i took the video. I probably should have warmed her up a little more, but im sure i didn't hurt anything. But your saying its not going to limp till 90MPH roughly??

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump, would like to get some limp info!

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Speed isn't really relevant. yes you will be in the 75-95 range because that is where your truck will be in the top of 4th and 5th gear with the size tires and gears you have. If your tune de fuels enough in between the shifts, then you might be alright even on your big tune. But why risk it? Winning is nice and all, but at what cost? If you have the money to build your trans, go ahead and risk damaging it. If you don't, don't horse beat it. Try to let off the throttle from 4 to 5 and don't hammer on it for the 5 to 4.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
i ran my 110hp tune and limped my 5th gear, but again this all goes back to the lift pump. a truck with a desire of 22k only getting 11-14k is puny. my fpr went out and thats what it pushed. and i never limped it until i fixed the problem.the way that these trucks pull with a lift pump is stupid. also it should be noted that as rare as it is some trucks don't limp...but that doesnt mean that the transmission isn't getting damaged. take your risks

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
something you can do is run your 150 tune until 45-50 and knock it down into the 90 tune.....I have to drop out of my 4th tune to pass someone so I don't limp and I do it right as I am getting into it...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts