Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is going to sit for at least 6 months maybe more will im gone on deployment. I know the computer and radio draw a little even while sitting and the batterys would be dead when i get home. I have never used a battery tender but i am thinking of getting one. Can they be used with two batterys and is it safe to leave unchecked for a long time. My batterys are 1 year old and my truck doesnt have any problem setting for 3-4 weeks but 6 months is too much. Whats my best bet.

·
HERE SO I DONT GET FINED
2,860 Posts
I use a battery maintainer on my two 6 volt deep cycle batteries (hooked in sequence) from our 5er. I've had them charging all winter in my garage.
I'm not sure if it would be better to remove them from your truck? Or leave them in? I'm no expert on batteries.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have always heard the computer needs the battery for its memory but if it goes dead thats the same as removing it right? Last time I left I just took the cables off my 67 and it was pertty funny using it to start all the new cars when we got home.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Battery tender + have someone start it and drive it periodically.

I did this for a friend while he was deployed!

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I'd recommend just disconnecting the negatives, but I'm no expert either. I just got home from being gone over 7 months and between the Guam heat and my wife only driving the truck once a week, both batteries died. I've used a battery tender on my bike for months on end but never the truck. IMHO, disconnect sounds safest, easiest, and cheapest.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Pull the batteries out of the truck and put them inside a warm garage or something with a battery tender on them.

Thanks for your service. Stay safe over there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
King of Battle
854 Posts
all i did was disconnect them should be interesting to see if it starts when i get home. 4 and half months to go!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts